We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay - where not to stay

bedford
Level Contributor
1,378 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Where to stay - where not to stay

I am researching and studying where to stay in Venice...mostly to make sure while researching hotels/B&B and apt..that I mainly look in areas I want to stay.

Plans so far are 3 nights in October. Last day we don't leve till 10:00pm so will have 1/2 day, 2 full days and then last day I figure till 6:00pm etc.

Maybe one day trip to Verona..or stop on the way from Florence..but don't know yet.

Are there any areas I should not stay as it will be inconvenient etc.

Example I know hotel Al ponte Mocenigo gets a lot of great reviews so is that area also good.

I tried to find the neighborhoods...

Cannargegio

San Marco

Castello

Dorsoduro - is this too far? or closer then it looks.

San Polo

etc.

I know when I was looking at Rome, I was more specific on the area to be able to go out at night for restaurants, etc close by...and it is more spreadout.

Does it really matter where we stay in Venice..

I was reading through thishttp://www.walksofitaly.com/blog/venice/where-to-stay-in-venice-sestieri not sure how true it is..

Edited: 23 February 2013, 23:19
UK
Level Contributor
1,594 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to stay - where not to stay

I'd say that the walksofitaly blog is pretty accurate. But it doesn't really matter where you stay in Venice - certainly not if you're only going to be there for three days. You can walk from east to west and from north to south in an hour and a bit. It's good to be fairly central, so you don't have to walk far to get anywhere, but it's not that important. If you can't find an on-line map that shows the sestieri, get a book or guide that does show them. Read the top ten questions at the top right of this page. There is so much to see in Venice that I would suggest you postpone Verona for another holiday. You might want to stay close to the bus station or rail station so you don't have to lug your luggage too far.

bedford
Level Contributor
1,378 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to stay - where not to stay

Thanks.

I do have a few guide books. But I always love tripadvisor advice. It is so different and so much more personable.

There is always so much to do!!! I need a month. Huh.

albuquerque
Level Contributor
991 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to stay - where not to stay

Dorsoduro is definitely not too far. It's a great place to stay and an easy walk to everywhere. There are nice places to stay and some nice restaurants nearby as well. P. San Marco is an easy walk.

Personally, I find the areas by the train or bus station less desirable.

UK
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
46,654 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to stay - where not to stay

Venice is very small you can not compare it with Rome, I have stayed a most of the areas over the years, really do not favour any, you are not in Venice long enough really to merit a day trip anywhere, October is a popular Month do book your Hotel early if you have anywhere in particular inm mind,

Venice, Italy
Destination Expert
for Venice, City of Venice
Level Contributor
7,661 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to stay - where not to stay

What you list are not five neighborhoods, but five (of the total 6) sestieri, so you have included something like 90% of Venice (considering that Santa Croce, the one you missed which includes Piazzale Roma is smaller than Cannaregio or Castello).

More important considerations are the time and effort involved in reaching a place to stay, which usually depends on when and from where you are arriving.

Since it sounds like you are arriving by train and you don't have to worry about leaving early (but not clear if by train or plane), you can really stay anywhere you can reach by vaporetto.

Edited: 24 February 2013, 09:12
bedford
Level Contributor
1,378 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to stay - where not to stay

we will be arriving from Train from Florence...and we will be flying home to Dallas from Venice :-(

Los Angeles...
Destination Expert
for Venice, Provence-Alpes-Cote d'Azur
Level Contributor
8,472 posts
479 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to stay - where not to stay

First, three nights in Venice will keep you busy, so I would definitely not plan on spending a day in Verona. Second, October is a very popular travel month and I would get cracking with reserving a place to stay, since more popular places may be already picked over. No, it does not really matter where one stays in Venice, since the City is small and walkable. However, if this is your first visit and you like being in the middle of things, San Marco may be your kind of a place. If you like to be a bit away from the crowds, then all of the other regions you listed would be better. I would still stick to Dorsoduro and San Polo and maybe stay away from the outlying areas of Castello and Cannargegio. Finally, I am pretty certain that any hotel in Venice will store your luggage because of your late departure. If you think you would need a place to rest, shower, etc. before your flight, you may want to inquire about a late check-out ahead of time, perhaps paying a half-day rate, if possible.

bedford
Level Contributor
1,378 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to stay - where not to stay

Thanks Anna-Roz...I am cracking..trying to get a place.... :-) just need to decide!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
25,318 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where to stay - where not to stay

To stay in Venice itself, avoid the islands, the Lido, Giudecca and the mainland such as Mestre.

I find Canereggio and Castello a little more isolated, though Castello starts almost behind St Marks, so parts of it are very close to the centre. Dorsoduro is perhaps a more open feeling place because of several broad walkways and the area along the Giudecca called the Zattere.

You can get everywhere by walking, though that becomes a little tedious as you go up and down many small bridges. The vaporetti will take you up and down the Grand Canal, but make sure you get a travel pass or the costs get a bit expensive at €7 a trip.

10. Re: Where to stay - where not to stay

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 February 2014, 05:17