We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Venice to Florence train station question

Which Venice hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Melbourne
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Topic
Venice to Florence train station question

Hi,

I am looking to book my train trip from Venice to Florence online via trenitalia however I'm unsure of which train stations to choose.

I know that in Venice my hotel is near San Marco station and in Florence the closest is SMN. Do I have to choose the exact station or can I simply buy tickets for Venizia S. Lucia to Firenze SMN? As there were no routes available from San Marco to Firenze on 17th April.

Sarpsborg, Norway
Level Contributor
38 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Venice to Florence train station question

Hi Cheesammii,

I recommend that you book Venezia S. Lucia to Firenze SMN; from San Marco area you can take a vaporetto (water bus), line--either # 1 or 2, but # 2 has fewer stops. It will cost approx. 6.50E and takes 45 minutes.

Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
28,942 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Venice to Florence train station question

There is no train station at San Marco - only boat 'stations', where you take a vaporetto to the boat station called Ferrovia for the train station actv.it/en/…waterbusservicestimetable

On the trenitalia website, buy from Venezia. S. Lucia to Firenze S.M. Novella.

Destination Expert
for Naples
Level Contributor
12,915 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Venice to Florence train station question

I just looked at the trenitalia web site and there are lots of trains available on April 17th between Venezia S. Lucia and Firenza S.M. Novella.

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane
Level Contributor
10,466 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Venice to Florence train station question

Venezia S. Lucia is the ONLY railway station in Venice. It is on the northernmost point of Venice ... to get to St Marco you must get a Vaporetto or Water Taxi. ( or take a really long walk )

Melbourne
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Venice to Florence train station question

Thank you! That makes sense now. I was getting confused cos there were options available for San Marco on the trenitalia website.

I'll book that trip as per everyone's comments above :)

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
84,679 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Venice to Florence train station question

There is no option for San Marco on the Trenitalia web site!

Venice, Italy
Destination Expert
for Venice, City of Venice
Level Contributor
7,594 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Venice to Florence train station question

The "San Marco" option does appear on the Trenitalia train site (at least to me as well), but as reported, gives n° 0 results (even with possible changes). So, as often occurs, the Trenitalia website is thinking of ferro and via (translated roughly from Italian as a "steel will" [we can't disappear, as much as people hate us] and "go away" [we don't need no outsiders!]), and not of customers, it would appear to the untrained (bureaucratic) eye...

As in "go rust in the hills you pesky tourists, we're a state run organization" or something equally creative, perhaps.

I would suggest using the http://reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/query.exe/en German railways site which is a bit more user friendly, and usually has almost the exact same updated information (except near the schedule changes in June and December).

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
84,679 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Venice to Florence train station question

Very interesting. I can't get San Marco listed on any of the English versions of the Trenitalia web sites.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
370 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Venice to Florence train station question

I will be staying in the Carneggio area? Will I take a water bus to the train station as well and how long will it take?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
8,902 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Venice to Florence train station question

Depends where are you staying in Cannaregio, you could possibly walk to Santa Lucia station. Check the hotel map.