We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1st Night Dinner - Best Food or Best View?

Providence, Rhode...
Level Contributor
222 posts
87 reviews
Save Topic
1st Night Dinner - Best Food or Best View?

I have always been able to rely on our TA community not only to get advice on the destinations but also to help me make my decisions on what is more important. That being said, we are traveling to Venice as the second stop on our four city tour in April; we will only be in town for 2 nights. We have heard great reviews about [2] restaurants (after tons of research of course) but neither are very glamorous or directly on the grand canal. (The [2] restaurants are Locanda Montin & Osteria La Bottega ai Promessi Sposi – BTW). We are in no way interested in fancy restaurants and these two spots seem right up our alley!

As the trip is approaching, I'm having second thoughts about our first night in Venice and am kind of thinking we should skip one of these places (or eat at it for lunch instead) and go to someplace that we can sit on a balcony overlooking the canal. To get the Venice feel you know!

Do you think that we should sacrifice one of these dependable restaurants and try somewhere that will wow us more with the view? I mean you can have a great meal anywhere but where else can you have dinner while looking at the canal?

Do you know of any reasonably priced restaurants that have good food with a great view of the canal? Maybe best of both worlds right?

Will the weather in mid-April (assuming no rain) yield to us eating outside if we wear sweaters?

Thanks for your help friends! I look forward to hearing from you all!

albuquerque
Level Contributor
991 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 1st Night Dinner - Best Food or Best View?

I'd always opt for the best food. Perhaps have an apperitivo at a bar with a nice view before dinner and take a walk after - the lights sparkling on the canals is really beautiful.

Los Angeles...
Destination Expert
for Venice, Provence-Alpes-Cote d'Azur
Level Contributor
8,436 posts
479 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 1st Night Dinner - Best Food or Best View?

I would not sacrifice my food for the view. Go for the food and then slowly stroll after dinner toward your hotel. BTW, where are you staying the two nights?

UK
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
46,645 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 1st Night Dinner - Best Food or Best View?

Anna Roz is right helps to know where you are staying,

Providence, Rhode...
Level Contributor
222 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 1st Night Dinner - Best Food or Best View?

We are staying at Hotel Al Ponte Mocenigo.

UK
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
46,645 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 1st Night Dinner - Best Food or Best View?

This place is very new the Hotel, the first time we went there it was really great on a return not so got short staff so a lot of waiting

tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g187870-…

Providence, Rhode...
Level Contributor
222 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 1st Night Dinner - Best Food or Best View?

I would also like to add, we are not getting in until around 6:00pm. So, my plan was to take the bus from the airport to the train station and then take the vapperetto (Line #1) down the grand canal to San Marco’s to get a cheap canal tour (Rick Steves tip). I’m figuring it won’t be until about 8:00pm that we will check into our hotel and was planning on having dinner at 9:00pm. Therefore, we won’t have much time before dinner and will also have been running a million miles an hour up to that point. We will also be very excited to be in Venice at that point as well which is what initially sparked my question of great food or great view. Does anyone know if it will be nice enough to eat outside if we dress appropriately (assuming no rain of course).

Surrey
Level Contributor
2,416 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 1st Night Dinner - Best Food or Best View?

We ate lunch last September at the restaurant recommended by Sophie above.

Didn't think the food was anything special and definitely no view. With regard to the weather, you may be lucky enough to be able to eat outside in the evening, but I wouldn't count on it in mid April. If the weather is fine, after your dinner you could go to St Mark's Square to listen to the orchestras, or else have drinks by the Grand Canal at Naranzaria (near the Rialto Bridge).

Providence, Rhode...
Level Contributor
222 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 1st Night Dinner - Best Food or Best View?

Thanks for the replies!

9. Re: 1st Night Dinner - Best Food or Best View?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 February 2014, 06:16