We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Name of Venice Border

Perth, Australia
3 posts
Save Topic
Name of Venice Border

Hello friends,

we are visiting Europe in the month of March. we are taking train from Zurich to Venice. here is the train we are taking

Zurich HB to Venezia Mestre

Departure 0709 Arrival 1358,

1 coonection

Cisapino 13

Frecciabianco 9717.

Now the Italian Embassy needs to know the name of the border through which we are entering. we wrote email to Eurorail asking for help, but did not get any response yet. if anybody knows the name of the border, please reply asap. Without that information Italian Embassy is not ready process our Visa and we are really running out of time.

Regards,

Deep

Mentioned in this post
Europe
Europe
World
Zurich
Zurich
Canton of Zurich, Switzerland
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
Mestre
Mestre
City of Venice, Italy
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
93,853 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Name of Venice Border

If you are travelling on an Australian passport, why do you need a visa? Australians can enter the Schengen Treaty area without a visa for stays as a tourist of up to 90 days in any 180 days.

There are no border controls between Switzerland and Italy, as they are both part of the Schengen Area. You will enter that area at whatever point you land in Switzerland.

Mentioned in this post
Italy
Italy
Europe
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
10,972 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Name of Venice Border

As sydneynick mentioned, it is strange for you to require a visa.

Anyway, that train (EC 13 Cisalpino) stops at the following stations:

Zug - ArthGoldau - Gotthard - Bellinzona - Lugano - Chiasso

Como San Giovanni - Milano Centrale and so on.

I guess the first Italian station would be Como San Giovanni.

Mentioned in this post
Lugano
Lugano
Canton of Ticino, Switzerland
Como
Como
Lake Como, Italy
canada
Level Contributor
8,075 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Name of Venice Border

The border is at Chiasso.

When it says one connection, where is the connection? Typically the train takes 25 min to run this 100 m crossing the border at Chiasso, You have 45 min connecting time on this train, you should be safe.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
25,716 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Name of Venice Border

Just curious. Why are you going to Venice Mestre? If Mestre is where you are staying, fine, but if you are staying in Venice proper, then the station is Venice Santa Lucia. Mestre is on the mainland before the long bridge into Venice proper.

Mentioned in this post
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
Mestre
Mestre
City of Venice, Italy
Hotel Santa Lucia
Hotel Santa Lucia
778 Reviews
Venice, Italy
Perth, Australia
3 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Name of Venice Border

Thanks a lot guys.. Hope it will solve my problem.. We are not Australian by birth.. So we need visa :(..anyways thanks guys

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
43,658 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Name of Venice Border

My experience on trains crossing into and out of Switzerland from Italy is that at the first Swiss stop we make coming from Italy, some officers (I don't know if they are police or immigration) come on board and walk through some of the train cars and then arbitrarily ask someone for their passport and even look through their luggage or purse.

When I was returning to Milan in December from Switzerland, I was seated next to an elderly (very elderly) woman and for some reason, they asked for her passport and and when she opened her small purse on her lap to get the passport out, they looked inside of it - really looked through it.

I am guessing it is a spot check but it has happened nearly every time - coming or going.

I mention it just so you won't be surprised to see this happen, if it happens.

Mentioned in this post
Italy
Italy
Europe
Milan
Milan
Lombardy, Italy
Brussels
Level Contributor
5,672 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Name of Venice Border

< it is strange for you to require a visa >

It is not strange at all. You cannot get a visa by mistake. If the OP had applied for a visa, while not needing one, the Italian Embassy would have told them so and refused the application.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
10,972 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Name of Venice Border

True, but my point was if he is an Australian citizen, he would have checked the visa requirements to enter Italy and Switzerland when he made his travel arrangements.

Mentioned in this post
Italy
Italy
Europe
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,408 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Name of Venice Border

You need to obtain a visa for your FIRST entry into the Schengen area. So if your first port of arrival is in say, France, then you would obtain a visa from the French consulate. Or if it is Germany, you'd get a visa from the German consulate.

Mentioned in this post
France
France
Europe
Germany
Germany
Europe
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
93,853 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Name of Venice Border

I believe that you should actually get a Schengen visa from the country where you will be spending the most amount of time.