We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

is Murano worth going to with limited time?

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
370 posts
15 reviews
14 helpful votes
is Murano worth going to with limited time?

We will have 2.5 days in Vencie-advice if Murano is worth going to with limited time? I thought my son might enjoy the boat ride to another island, and I could buy some glass jewlery, but now wonder if our time is spent elsewhere? If so, what area would be best to explore for local artisan's glass jewlery? thanks

UK
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
50,451 posts
89 reviews
84 helpful votes
1. Re: is Murano worth going to with limited time?

I would say with such a short time in Venice, No,

Chorley, United...
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
19,479 posts
126 reviews
249 helpful votes
2. Re: is Murano worth going to with limited time?

It all depends on jom much you like Murano glassware. If you are enthusiastic then Murano is a good place to vissit.

If, like me, you do not particularly care for Murano glass then there is only the very fine church of S, Maria e Donato to draw you there. IOt has a vdery fine mosaic floor of c.1140 AD

Los Angeles...
Destination Expert
for Venice, Provence-Alpes-Cote d'Azur
Level Contributor
12,121 posts
565 reviews
420 helpful votes
3. Re: is Murano worth going to with limited time?

There are shops in Venice proper that sell lovely Murano jewelry. Personally, I would not plan on Murano with only two and one-half days in Venice, but you can always decide once you are in Venice, depending on how your visit goes.

Norwich, United...
Destination Expert
for Disneyland Paris
Level Contributor
10,263 posts
32 reviews
76 helpful votes
4. Re: is Murano worth going to with limited time?

Hi, I wouldn't bother with only a short amount of time in Venice. There is to much to see in the city itself that we barely scratched the surface in five days.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
370 posts
15 reviews
14 helpful votes
5. Re: is Murano worth going to with limited time?

Thanks-this is helpful. I only wanted to go for jewelry and if I can find that in Venice, then we will use our time for other sights. Thanks so much for all your help. I reallly appreciate your advice.

Simcoe, Canada
Level Contributor
316 posts
28 reviews
18 helpful votes
6. Re: is Murano worth going to with limited time?

If you just want a boat ride to another island I would go to Burano instead. It is such a picturesque place and far more interesting than Murano.

UK
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
50,451 posts
89 reviews
84 helpful votes
7. Re: is Murano worth going to with limited time?

Burano is nice , but further away so more time consuming than Murano,

New York
Level Contributor
3,026 posts
39 reviews
49 helpful votes
8. Re: is Murano worth going to with limited time?

I also think Burano is so charming and unique. I did not like Murano at all and thought it was a waste of valuable time. I don't feel that away about going to Burano even during a short Venice stay.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
26,086 posts
61 reviews
83 helpful votes
9. Re: is Murano worth going to with limited time?

Murano is closer and is quite an attractive island. I think it makes a nice one or two hour look around for a bit of a change. My favourite jewellery is Orovetria. They have 2 shops and some very pretty jewellery, though it is not cheap. Lovely things with foil inside beads that they make themselves. Some lovely cuff links too.

Murano is really quite pretty, with houses on the canals, quiet canals, much more peaceful and also more open than Venice proper. There are also a few glass sculptures, a blue and an orange one that are quite interesting.

Canals and buildings like this

www.nickbooth.id.au/Images/murano_canal_2.jpg

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
370 posts
15 reviews
14 helpful votes
10. Re: is Murano worth going to with limited time?

that you. Is Orovetria on Murano or Venice proper?