We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cell phone needed if getting a vacation rental?

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
167 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
Cell phone needed if getting a vacation rental?

Hi,

I am looking into vacation rentals for Venice on this site and others. I am not planning on having a working cell phone on the trip. Is it reasonable to find a vacation rental in Venice without the aid of a cellphone? I'm confused as to how it works. One site I used wanted me to pay before I could contact the rental owner to ask questions. I'm not giving them my money before I know how it works.

Thanks,

Vicky

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
1,143 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cell phone needed if getting a vacation rental?

I think it is unusual to have to pay before contacting the owner so be wary of this.

Most rental apartments do not include a phone so without a cell phone how would you contact them if any thing went wrong? The rental I used asked that I call them when I was on the Alilaguna so they would know what time to meet me at the dock. Each owner or agency is different.

Nothing may go wrong but you never know. There are not a lot of pay phones available.

My first trip to Venice I did not take a cell phone because I knew the apartment had a phone but have found it helpful every other trip...just for the convenience of things like making dinner reservations if nothing else.

There are many companies where you can get an unlocked cell phone and a sim with an Italian phone number. I use www.cellularabroad.com

Hope this helps.

Have a wonderful trip.

Winchester...
Level Contributor
6,214 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cell phone needed if getting a vacation rental?

If the rental apartment has a phone then you wouldn't necessarily need a cellphone.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
167 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cell phone needed if getting a vacation rental?

Thanks for your answer. My question does not appear to be clear. I am asking about how on arrival I get from the train station to the apartment. How can I find the apartment? Does everyone call the owner and then meet in a well known place? Or are apartments easy enough to find by yourself with an address?

Winchester...
Level Contributor
6,214 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cell phone needed if getting a vacation rental?

Thanks for the clarification. :-)

I think it depends on the specific apartment you rent. I don't see how it's possible to give you a general answer.

Presumably people who rent out apartments have worked out some system for getting people to the apartment.

Chorley, United...
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
18,954 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cell phone needed if getting a vacation rental?

It is common practice for you to be given an address and a time for you to be there so that you can meet the owner and be given the keys. You may also have to telephone to confirm you have arrived safely.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
167 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cell phone needed if getting a vacation rental?

Thanks, all. That is what I was basically guessing. Thanks for the confirmation. I will not use the service that wants me to pay before being put in contact with the owner. Why pay if it may not work out? I will contact a few different owners of other places and see if they have a way to work it out if I do not have a phone on me.

Takapuna, New...
Level Contributor
3,774 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cell phone needed if getting a vacation rental?

It can be very difficult in Venice to find a place from an address. As I understand the building number is the number within 1 of 6 Sestieri or districts, not the number within a street.

The last time we rented in Venice from Red House Company, we had a phone number to ring when we got on the vaporetto at Tronchetto and we were met at the Rialto stop by Caroline of Red House and walked to the apartment. This worked well and the apartment was fantastic.

http://www.venietiam.com/index.aspx

Venice, Italy
Destination Expert
for Venice, City of Venice
Level Contributor
7,957 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cell phone needed if getting a vacation rental?

The best way to find a street address in Venice is the …venicexplorer.net/venice-mapquest/index.php website, which is very accurate, and in all the years I have used it recall finding only a couple "mistakes", and even then they were still just around a corner from the correct position (so perhaps just someone's abusive rehab work moving a door). Googlemaps, on the otherhand, is often not good at identifying a street number's location, and occasionally terribly awfully horrendously wrong (I have seen it point in the wrong Sestiere, across the Grand Canal more than once).

9. Re: Cell phone needed if getting a vacation rental?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 March 2014, 04:16