We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Red Wine

Springfield...
Level Contributor
193 posts
61 reviews
Save Topic
Red Wine

Two quick red wine related questions..

*We are staying in Mestre & we'll be walking around Venice for four days pre-cruise. I'd like to buy a couple (at least) of bottles of red wine to take onboard. I would like to find a red moscato, a sparkling red, or a sweet red. Will it be easy to find a wine store or a place selling these types of red wines in Mestre or Venice??

*When ordering at a casual restaurant in Venice... and opting to go for a house red... would this be something I would enjoy when looking at my normal tastes (above - red moscato, sparking red, sweet red) ??? If you like a house wine... is it possible to order a bottle to go?? Is it appropriate (or not) to ask for a taste prior to ordering a carafe of house red??

Thanks for any answers. I'm not picky about wines (believe it or not) and I'm not a wine snob by any means but the dry red wines are not for me.

worcester, uk
Level Contributor
444 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Red Wine

We found a good selection of red wines in the small supermarkets all over venice. We were very impressed with the quality of wines, hams and cheeses etc,

Coop has several branches, billa just past the rialto bridge and another near the museum fortuny has an excellent selection.

Try primativo or barola as they are good wines.

There is also a good (but expensive) little wine shop on the san marco side of the rialto bridge

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
25,372 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Red Wine

You may find a Lambrusco is to your taste. Many, probably most, Italian moscatos are white.There are small wine bars that sell wine by the refillable bottle and they will give you tastes or any bar will sell you a glass of wine to sample and you can later buy a bottle, probably at the supermarket.

The house wines of Italian restaurants are rarely more than a white and a red, both dry, and are often in the barrel rather than a bottle.

UK
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
46,895 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Red Wine

You will have no problem, besides supermarkets the are small Deli's and even shops basically wine and spirits,

I am sure I have heard that some Cruise lines do not allow you take your own wine, I personally have not cruised just something I have read sometime on here,

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
17,792 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Red Wine

Notwithstanding my wife's disdain, I've quite a taste for another sweetish red sparkler - brachetto, mostly produced in the country's northwest.

Try these for more....

wineloverspage.com/italwineguide/brachetto.p…

www.forgottengrapes.com/brachetto-dacqui

... with this perhaps giving an idea of prices:

http://it.cercavino.com/cerca/vino/brachetto

Peter

Springfield...
Level Contributor
193 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Red Wine

Such wonderful answers!!!!! THANK YOU ALL!!

Philadelphia...
Destination Expert
for Rio de Janeiro
Level Contributor
20,533 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Red Wine

There is a well-known supermarket in Mestre: PAM, at 209 Corso del Popolo, two doors away from the Hotel Ambasciatori. PAM has a good selection of wines and spirits at bargain prices. There is another PAM near Piazza Ferretto in the Le Barche Shopping Center.

Cheshire, United...
Level Contributor
6,163 posts
246 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Red Wine

I agree with Sophie, most cruise lines will not let you take your own wine on board, I know Royal Caribbean don't as I went with them in December, also Norwegian don't allow wine for consumption onboard. That said they will keep it for you till you leave.

Springfield...
Level Contributor
193 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Red Wine

Carnival Cruise Lines always allows two bottles of wine per cabin. ALWAYS. For other lines, there are exceptions consistently made for European based cruises. Royal Caribbean allowed us wine on our last Mediterranean cruise. We are frequent cruisers. We know the rules. I thought I might share our experience with the rest of you so as not to misinform anyone reading this thread.

Los Angeles...
Destination Expert
for Venice, Provence-Alpes-Cote d'Azur
Level Contributor
9,066 posts
483 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Red Wine

Good to know in the event someone asks. A friend had her wine confiscated as she was boarding a Princess cruise ship.

Springfield...
Level Contributor
193 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Red Wine

Was that a long time ago on Princess?? Princess also allows one to bring wine onboard.

Question: What is the alcohol policy onboard Princess Cruises?

Answer: We kindly request that you do not bring alcoholic beverages (other than wine and/or champagne) onboard for consumption.

I hope I don't sound rude on this thread ~ but I hope people realize that cruise lines have changed their policies drastically in the last couple of years and for a cruise ship to not allow wine to be brought onboard would almost be absurd ~ even Disney allows unlimited wine and liquor to be brought onboard!! FYI We hope to purchase several bottles of Italian wine and bring onboard with us and this thread has been very helpful to me so I do hope it is helpful to some of you now, too. :-)