We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rome to Venice and Return by train

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Rome to Venice and Return by train

is it best value to buy Eurail Italy only tickets to travel from Rome to Venice and return for 3 people?

Can eurail be used on suburban train also?

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
86,182 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rome to Venice and Return by train

Do not buy anything from Eurail. The passes are not valid on suburban trains, and for long-distance travel will cost you much more than buying ordinary tickets direct from the train operator.

For the best prices, book direct with the train operator as far ahead as possible. Tickets usually go on sale 4 months before travel, and the cheapest tickets often sell out quickly. The discounted prices keep going up as the travel date gets closer.

You can get train times and costs from www.trenitalia.com using the Italian versions of city names. At present, times are not posted beyond 8 June. Just keep checking the site.

There is also a new operator serving Milan, Turin, Bologna, Venice, Florence, Rome, Naples and Salerno: http://www.italotreno.it/EN

Edited: 29 March 2013, 10:23
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rome to Venice and Return by train

Thank you so much Nick for the information. I really appreciate your help. Gai B

Albany, NY
Level Contributor
430 posts
250 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rome to Venice and Return by train

We rode trenitalia from Rome > Venice and then tried italotreno for the return trip. Italotreno was MUCH nicer. The italotreno was brand new, seats more comfortable, wifi hooked up easier, food and wine options more abundant, and staff much friendlier. The difference was significant. Prices were comparable for what we booked. They each use different train stations in Rome [but the same station in Venice], so you’ll need to decide if that matters.

It might have been the day, or time of day, but our trenitalia train to Venice was fairly busy, whereas the crowd on the return trip via italotreno was light. Maybe the new operator needs to advertise more?

Perhaps not a reply to your Eurail question, but just wanted to give some info on the two train company options.

baltimore
Level Contributor
3,122 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rome to Venice and Return by train

The new train service looks nice. We will be taking a train from Venice to Rome. Which station do i pick for Rome? We will be staying in the Navona area.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
40,576 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Rome to Venice and Return by train

It taking Italo, you don't get to pick your station; it uses Tiburtina and Trenitalia uses Roma Termini - see where they are on a map and you will see where your lodging is in relation to each.

baltimore
Level Contributor
3,122 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Rome to Venice and Return by train

Thanks for the info.

The hotels we are looking at are in the Navona area. Any idea what the taxi cost might run and how long taxi ride is it?

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
32,451 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Rome to Venice and Return by train

Seems to be some confusion between train operators, types of train and websites! Italotreno is a type of train and it has a booking website with the same name: www.italotreno.it/en/Pages/default.aspx

Trenitalia is the website of Italian State Railways (FS), on which you can purchase tickets for both Regional and ES (EuroStar - now Frecciargenta between Rome and Venice) trains, see www.trenitalia.com/cms/v/index.jsp…

Eurail is a type of pass, sold by agencies such as Rail Europe: you definitely don't need a pass to do just 2 train trips in a single country!

A taxi from Piazza Navona to Termini would cost about €10, see http://www.worldtaximeter.com/rome/Piazza+Navona/Termini+station

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
40,576 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Rome to Venice and Return by train

The different train systems websites have all been included already on this thread; I think it is a matter of just taking the time to look over each website and decide if one offers a better price, a better time, etc.

There is a taxi rank in Piazza Navona at the west side of the piazza - can't recall if there is one near the east side but in any case, you could have our hotel/B&B call a taxi for you to take you to whichever station you are going; be sure the meter is on. If the taxi is called by lodging vs picking it up at a rank, there will be some euros already on the meter as the meter is turned on from the moment it leaves the rank to pick you up.

To Termini - that ride is about 10 euros as noted; not sure how much to Tiburtina - world taxi meter's website could give you an estimate; it may be similar to the price to Termini.

There's a lot of new stock on the Trenitalia trains - I was was brand spanking new ones this past December and a few that were very new last March and a few of the older (but still nice) ones. The new one I took from Milan to Rome in December was quite plush and spiffy.

There is not much difference between first and second class. Some people prefer to pay more for the whatever difference there is that is important to them; I never do - it's just not worth it to me. Having traveled first class, I didn't find it something I would personally spend more money on - but, that is - obviously - personal choice.

Here's some good info about riding trains in Italy (and train stations) - some really good info for first time travelers (if you are first time traveler):

(It also mentions Italo) - roninrome.com/transportation/train-travel-it…

Venice, Italy
Destination Expert
for Venice, City of Venice
Level Contributor
7,661 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Rome to Venice and Return by train

One note on the difference between first and second class when looking for the restricted Economy and Supereconomy fares: as these fares are quantity controlled and can sell out, at times it is possible to get a 1st class Supereconomy even though the 2nd class Economy and Supereconomy are all sold out for the same train, still saving a bundle over the 2nd class full base fare, as long as the restrictions are acceptable to you (basically no refunds and only limited modifications with a surcharge with the Economy fares).

10. Re: Rome to Venice and Return by train

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 April 2014, 07:16