We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to pack for trip to Italy in April

Kansas City, MO
1 post
Save Topic
What to pack for trip to Italy in April

Can someone tell me if dresses and sweaters will work. Also planning to wear jeans And sweaters. Do I need a heavy coat or will a jacket suffice. Any info you can give me would be great. Leaving April 12. Thanks!

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
13,931 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What to pack for trip to Italy in April

Check the weather report a few days before you leave and set your packing accordingly. No one can really predict the fickleness of Mother Nature. Good, comfortable, well broken into shoes and an umbrella are always handy.

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
32,583 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What to pack for trip to Italy in April

"Italy" covers a wide range of possibilities but in any case, we simply can't tell what the weather will be doing on any given date. However, in my opinion, a raincoat (preferably with hood) under which you can wear extra sweaters if necessary provides more flexibility than a heavy coat. Layers are generally the way to go.

N California
Level Contributor
507 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What to pack for trip to Italy in April

I certainly wouldn't expect you to want a heavy coat; a light/medium jacket should suffice. I'll second the need for good walking shoes.

Los Angeles...
Destination Expert
for Venice, Provence-Alpes-Cote d'Azur
Level Contributor
8,978 posts
483 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What to pack for trip to Italy in April

Sherri, I would suggest that you think in terms of layers, having everything from thin long sleeve tops to sweaters, and a rain coat, just in case. Jeans are fine (I prefer the kind that look like slacks, so they are more versatile in terms of use). Dresses are a little more of a liability, since you would need to bring shoes that do not look odd but are still comfortable for walking, sweater or a jacket, or a coat that go with a dress and, perhaps, tights if the weather is cool. I did bring skirts, tights and boots to wear to dinner when we traveled to Venice in December. As you may note, I am a little more into style then perhaps someone else, who may suggest that you bring whatever you feel comfortable in. ;)

About the weather - it is just about as predictable as the stock market, so you need to be prepared. It is not bloody likely to be hot, so I would probably not worry about bringing summer clothes.

Seattle
Level Contributor
405 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What to pack for trip to Italy in April

My biggest question is shoes. I was planning on bringing comfortable mid-thigh leather boots. Will this be appropriate, at least for night time? Or will Italian women have put there boots away by April 14? Thanks for any help.

6. Re: What to pack for trip to Italy in April

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 April 2014, 06:16