We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How best to select a hotel and how to transport there

Tennessee
Level Contributor
94 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
How best to select a hotel and how to transport there

We're traveling with our grandson to Venice at the end of June before taking a cruise. I'm going a little crazy trying to find a reasonable priced hotel for 2 nights while trying to find one that offers a relatively reasonable method to travel from the airport and then to the cruise terminal. It seems like using the Alilaguana system makes the most sense but I'm having trouble figuring out how it's stops fit the various hotels that I've looked at. Most hotels don't indicate the options of transport there. Private water taxis seem pretty expensive. Any suggestions?

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
86,182 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How best to select a hotel and how to transport there

Just about every hotel's web site tells you the name of the nearest vaporetto stop, and a map showing how to get from that stop to the hotel. If you combine that with a diagram of the vaporetto routes, you should be able to work out which hotels would be suitable. See hellovenezia.com/images/stories/navigazio/Ma…

An Alilaguna ferry can be a good choice for getting from the airport into Venice, but may be less suitable for getting to a cruise ship. The dock area is large, and you could have a long walk from the ferry stop to your ship. It is usually better to take a vaporetto (water bus) to Piazzale Roma and a land taxi from there right to your ship.

Tennessee
Level Contributor
94 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How best to select a hotel and how to transport there

Will the vaporettos also take our suitcases or is there an extra charge?

thanks to sydneynick for the suggestions.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
86,182 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How best to select a hotel and how to transport there

The standard tickets and passes allow one large suitcase, and in practice you can have a carry-on as well. If you have 2 large suitcases, you should buy an extra ticket.

It is easy to get luggage on and off. The vaporetto stops are pontoons that float, so they are always level with the boat deck.

Tennessee
Level Contributor
94 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How best to select a hotel and how to transport there

Thanks once more.

I found a useful site: 11 mistakes visitors make. It recommended that we select a hotel near the cruise termninal in the Zattere area. So I'm checking that out. Do you know of any hotels in that area?

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
86,182 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How best to select a hotel and how to transport there

La Calcina is right on the Zattere waterfront, with a restaurant built out over the water. We enjoyed staying there some years ago. www.lacalcina.com

Tennessee
Level Contributor
94 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How best to select a hotel and how to transport there

La Calcina looked great on the website. Unfortunately they will not allow 3 in a room (our grandson will be with us). In addition, they require a 3 night stay and we only want 2 nights. Thanks for the suggestion.

UK
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
46,654 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How best to select a hotel and how to transport there

You can take a Bus to Piazzale Roma, a good setting off point for the Stazione Marittima , this site list Hotels in the area

europeforvisitors.com/venice/articles/venice…

Tallahassee, Florida
Level Contributor
1,984 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: How best to select a hotel and how to transport there

I went on www.venere.com and found this hotel. You can check the reviews on TA. It seems though that sophie's list gives you a lot of hotels to chose from.

venere.com/hotels/…

Tennessee
Level Contributor
94 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How best to select a hotel and how to transport there

Thanks to sophie and lijauar for all the tips. I just booked the Alloggi Marinella on Vanere.com. Comments were positive and convenient to cruise ship and the sights.

I did notice a 20 euro per day fee for the kitchen, which seems strange.

Also my confirmation indicated that payment was required in cash at the hotel. Seems like credit cards would be acceptable for this large of a rate.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,169 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: How best to select a hotel and how to transport there

In Italy, cash is king.