We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Airport into Venice: late night arrival. Best options?

Which Venice hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Boston...
Level Contributor
102 posts
71 reviews
Save Topic
Airport into Venice: late night arrival. Best options?

We are arriving late night into Venice airport (around 10 p.m.) What are my best options to get into Venice? We are a family of 4. I don't mind taking public transport--if you think it's safe that time of night? Any idea how much a land taxi (not the water taxi) would be? Thanks for the advice!

Venice
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
9,049 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Airport into Venice: late night arrival. Best options?

It all depend on where you are staying what is the best form of transport. the buses run - www.actv.it and www.atvo.it to piazzale Roma and then the vaporetti run down the grand canal all night.

Alilaguna has some late services . www.alilaguna.it

A land taxi will be in the region of €35 I would have thought at that time of night, possibly less.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
83,916 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Airport into Venice: late night arrival. Best options?

All the normal transport options operate until around midnight and will be safe. See the Top Question "Arriving and departing" at top right of this page.

Chorley, United...
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
18,505 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Airport into Venice: late night arrival. Best options?

At 10 pm all forms of transport from Marco Polo into Venice will be working - bus, coach or land taxi by road or across the lagoon by Alilaguna ferry or private water taxi.

Fortunately Venice is about the safest city I know and at 83 I have no qualms walking anywhere late at night.

How well do you know Venice? If this is your first visit then the only problem is navigating through the streets of Venice- it is easy to get lost, particularly at night.

The various land routes will only take you as far as Piazzale Roma on the western edge of Venice so you may have to walk some distance to find your Hotel. The Alilaguna ferry will take you, depending on which Alilaguna line you can take, to various landing stages around Venice so reducing the distance you may have to walk. The drawback to the Alilaguna ferry is that it is slow taking up to an hour , depending on which of their lines you take.

A private water taxi is expensive, though that is for the whole launch, not per person. Divided by 4 it does not sound quite so expensive and has the great advantages of being fast and taking you directly to your Hotel, avoiding the need to walk through a relatively dark city.

Los Angeles...
Destination Expert
for Venice, Provence-Alpes-Cote d'Azur
Level Contributor
7,857 posts
446 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Airport into Venice: late night arrival. Best options?

You are totally safe on any of the above. I would opt for a land taxi or a bus, and then a vaporetto over Alilaguna. Alilaguna is very slow and, after a long Transatlantic flight at this hour of the evening, with kids in tow, it will be pretty painful. There are also shared water taxis, which will cost less and will have predetermined stops. May be the best option, depending on where you are staying.

Albany, NY
Level Contributor
429 posts
240 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Airport into Venice: late night arrival. Best options?

Safe? Venice is just about the safest city I've ever visited. It's hardly a late night city. We strolled through a park way past midnight, didn't hear or see a single person, but felt totally safe. And I'm usually a really paranoid person...

Boston...
Level Contributor
102 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Airport into Venice: late night arrival. Best options?

Thanks all! Our hotel is 5 minutes walk from Piazza Roma, so I think the bus options sound good. Many thanks.

7. Re: Airport into Venice: late night arrival. Best options?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 April 2014, 07:16