We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay in Venice

Saratoga Springs...
Level Contributor
52 posts
Save Topic
Where to stay in Venice

My husband and I are staying in Venice, 26 September 2013 for 2 nights. We would prefer someplace not in the tourist area. Where would there be such a place to stay? Not fancy please. B&B's?

Venice Urban Adventures
Boat Tours, Walking Tours, Food Tours, Sightseeing Tours
JM Walkingtour
City Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Walking Tours
Free Venice City Tour
Cultural Tours, Walking Tours, Sightseeing Tours
City Wonders
Sightseeing Tours, Gondola Cruises, City Tours, Cultural Tours
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,170 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to stay in Venice

Here's a thought - my daughter has stayed at this B&B.

http://www.alcampaniel.com/

Roma
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
11,946 posts
602 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to stay in Venice

The touristy area par excellence is San Marco, so basically if you choose anyone of the other "sestieri" of the historic centre (Cannaregio, San Polo, Santa Croce, Dorsoduro and Castello) you're likely to find fine.

Until September you have a lot of time to choose. Santa Croce and Cannaregio, at least a part of them, are more practical to reach from the central station (which is in Cannaregio) and from the terminus of buses and the car parkings (which are in Piazzale Roma-Tronchetto in Santa Croce). Dorsoduro and Castello are rather far from the "gates" to the historical Venice.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
3,433 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to stay in Venice

Look at Locando Gaffaro in a quiet courtyard not to far from Piazzale Roma.

UK
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
46,859 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to stay in Venice

September is very popular, well reviewed places book Months in advance, There are many good B&B's

but a lot of Hotels are around the same price and basically same facilities have a look at Palazzo Cendon, stayed there last year , very good,

Saratoga Springs...
Level Contributor
52 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to stay in Venice

Thank you for your help. It seems overwhelming right now. But this helps.

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
Level Contributor
11,586 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to stay in Venice

I would plug Bed and Breakfast Venezia, where I stayed last month. It seems to meet your criteria. My review is here:

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g187870-d289282…

The website is rather rudimentary, and I think the TA site really gives a more accurate view of the hotels' charms. This might be the first ever case of TA reviews making a place look better than its own website.

http://www.bbvenezia.com/

Neptune Beach, FL
Level Contributor
3,330 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to stay in Venice

Suggest this guest house in a former monastery: http://www.donorione-venezia.it/en/

It's in Dorsoduro on the Guideca Canal right at the Zattere vaporetto stop. And the Academia vaporetto stop on the Grand CAnal is just a three minute walk from the lodging. Couldn't be more convenient to transportation. The place is delightful. Immaculate. Breakfast included. Good web booking site. E-mail queries answered promptly.

Enjoy your stay!

Spirit

Edited: 17 April 2013, 05:28
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
25,365 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to stay in Venice

I have rarely found that previous monasteries, convents etc are either charming or inexpensive. I can't get a price on that website but the rooms remind me of a boarding school.

We stayed at www.aitagliapietra.com tucked in behind San Marco. Lorenzo, your host, is charming and despite the rather unusual bed heads in the rooms, they are immaculate, have modern en-suites attached, a/c and an Italian breakfast is provided, as well as free access to wifi. Recommended. Cost under €100/night.

Edited: 17 April 2013, 05:42
Los Angeles...
Destination Expert
for Venice, Provence-Alpes-Cote d'Azur
Level Contributor
9,002 posts
483 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where to stay in Venice

Critta, there will be tourists at every turn in Venice in September. The moment you will exit your B&B, there will be plenty of other tourists to keep you company. It is what it is. I would suggest that you focus on a place that appeals to you, meets your budget and amenities' expectations. Do not worry that much about anything else. Two nights basically amounts to one day. Enjoy it!

Bethlehem...
8 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Where to stay in Venice

I am trying to plan a trip to visit Croatia. In early August. I want to pick up a car to drive there from Venice. So it makes sense to spend a few days in Venice beforehand. can you recomend a B&B for a few days the last week of July? We would like to go on foot to see the sights of Venice, arts, cathedrals, experience the great tastes and wines of the area. We like to blend in and not be a typical US tourist.