We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

service charge at restaurants in Venice?

Englewood, Florida
Level Contributor
68 posts
268 reviews
Save Topic
service charge at restaurants in Venice?

We had our first dinner out tonight in Venice and were charged a per person charge of 1.50 euros each which we've seen in other cities. But we were also charged a 12+% 'service' charge. When i questioned the waiter, he said it was a 'tax." Is this true? We haven't had any taxes added to our meals in other Italian cities.

Venice Walking Tour and Gondola Ride
2,563 reviews
from US$57.10*
Special Offer
Dolomite Mountains Small-Group Day...
770 reviews
from US$176.50*
US$196.80
Special Offer
Skip the Line: Venice in One Day...
3,541 reviews
from US$76.20*
US$92.70
St. Mark's Basilica and Doge's Palace...
290 reviews
from US$82.50*
Chorley, United...
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
18,825 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: service charge at restaurants in Venice?

There is always the "Pane e Coperto" charge of a few euros which is what you paid. The 12% service charge is something which is becoming much more widespread in Venice. When I first came to Venice over 30 years ago it was unknown. It is not an official tax so treat it as a normal service charge. It should be stated on the menu which is posted outside the restaurant.

I try to avoid restaurants in Venice whcih impose a service charge.

Los Angeles...
Destination Expert
for Venice, Provence-Alpes-Cote d'Azur
Level Contributor
10,583 posts
516 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: service charge at restaurants in Venice?

Yes. Euro 1.50 is the bread charge and 12% is a service charge/tip. They can call it tax but it is just a garden variety gratuity. We also noticed some restaurants adding this charge and were not too crazy about it, but it looks like the sign of the times. If you check the menus posted outside, it should state whether or not there will be an added service charge and you can then decide whether you want to proceed. Personally, if I really wanted to dine at a certain restaurant, I would just swallow my pride.

Englewood, Florida
Level Contributor
68 posts
268 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: service charge at restaurants in Venice?

Thank you for the replies. I did a little research after posting and figured out that it really was a fixed gratuity which is sometimes done in the States but usually only for larger groups. I feel calling the charge a tax is pretty underhanded--if they want to require a tip, they can do so but it certainly shouldn't be called a tax.

Venice
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
9,432 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: service charge at restaurants in Venice?

I personally don't like it but many places have started to automatically add it. The thing is that if it is not included then its not the 'norm' here to add 12% 5-10% possibly depending on what you have spent.

5. Re: service charge at restaurants in Venice?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 April 2014, 05:17