We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

My Long Awaited Return - What's New on the Rialto?

Clifton, NJ
Level Contributor
1,329 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
My Long Awaited Return - What's New on the Rialto?

This August will be just a little over six years since we parted ways. I promised I would return and now I shall. I will enjoy looking over the past few months of posts and those to come in preparation. I would beg any and all of my former TA friends to give me an update on the changes I should expect during my visit.

Please bring me up to speed....

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
25,670 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: My Long Awaited Return - What's New on the Rialto?

All the horrible advertising scaffolding is gone from San Marco. Can't help with Rialto.

Clifton, NJ
Level Contributor
1,329 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: My Long Awaited Return - What's New on the Rialto?

Good to hear the scaffolding is gone. Venice is always in a constant state of renovation, fixing, and cleaning. My last two trips (three years apart) the Basillica was partially covered both times. FYI...My question about the Rialto was simply a reference to a Shakespeare's Shylock quote from the Merchant of Venice.

Mentioned in this post
Hotel Rialto
Hotel Rialto
2,338 Reviews
Venice, Italy
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
United States
Level Contributor
9,871 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: My Long Awaited Return - What's New on the Rialto?

When I was there in March, there was some covering over the front of the Basilica and a large advertising board in front of the Correr Museum.

TAB

UK
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
48,406 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: My Long Awaited Return - What's New on the Rialto?

My goodness is it that long since you were there, how time flies,

Kent, England
Level Contributor
2,980 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: My Long Awaited Return - What's New on the Rialto?

I think the new bridge near the railway station, linking Piazzale Roma to the street in front of the station. Designed by Calatrava, steel and glass, I liked it but many didn't!

And the Dogana, customs-house, is now a modern art gallery- it was being renovated when I was there 2-3 years ago.

Mentioned in this post
Piazzale Roma
Piazzale Roma
26 Reviews
Venice, Italy
Surrey
Level Contributor
2,478 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: My Long Awaited Return - What's New on the Rialto?

Sadly, you will find far more tourists in Venice now, especially large tour groups, so brace yourself for this. Also many of the small shops serving locals have gone. On the plus side, the clock tower is no longer under wraps and can be visited and many buildings have been opened to the public and have become wonderful and unique exhibition spaces - the Dogana, Palazzo Grassi, the Fortuny, Casa dei Tre Oci, and more of the San Giorgio monastery complex can now be visited, including a maze. New restaurants as well, and more adventurous modern cooking in some establishments. Oh, Venice is always changing and I look forward every time I go to seeing wonderful new things. I'm sure others will add more suggestions.

Mentioned in this post
B&B Fortuny
B&B Fortuny
216 Reviews
Venice, Italy
Palazzo Grassi
Palazzo Grassi
421 Reviews
Venice, Italy
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
Venice, Italy
Destination Expert
for Venice, City of Venice
Level Contributor
7,953 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: My Long Awaited Return - What's New on the Rialto?

Quite a number of the vaporetto lines have changed numbers since 6 years ago, though most of the routes have remained similar or identical. There is a new air-conditioned Vaporetto dell'Arte line which can usually be seen passing with less than a handful of passengers. If you are planning on getting a 3 day or 7 day vaporetto pass, the extra €10 to add the VdA is probably well worth it during the heat of August.

With nice weather, the Erberia & San Giacometto off the Rialto Market and Campo Santa Margherita & dintorni can be difficult to pass on Friday and Saturday evenings due to the throngs of young adults just "hanging out".

The Emilio Vedova Foundation has opened up a museum, and the Burano Lace Museum has reopened as well.

Many more mask and cheap glass souvenir shops have taken the place of the fewer butchers, bakers and "biaverol" general foodstuff stores. A few more big supermarkets as well. Bookstores are closing like flies swatted in a barn. It seems every time you see a moving boat taking old traditional furnishings from an upper story window by mechanical ladder, a couple months later there is a B&B sign on the front bell as well.

A new (or actually completely rebuilt after years of being closed) movie theatre (technically multi-sala, I suppose, since there are 2 screens, even if the 2nd is more a "studio" theatre dimension) at the Rossini off Campo San Luca and Campo Widmann. So now there are 2 movie theatres in Venice again (3 if you count Lido, 4 when you will be here and can count the open-air arena in San Polo for its 5-6 summer weeks).

Mentioned in this post
Campo Santa Margherita
Campo Santa Margherita
565 Reviews
Venice, Italy
Hotel Rialto
Hotel Rialto
2,338 Reviews
Venice, Italy
Lido
Lido
1,745 Reviews
Venice, Italy
San Polo
San Polo
173 Reviews
Venice, Italy
Vaporetto
Vaporetto
4,796 Reviews
Venice, Italy
Campo San Luca
Campo San Luca
30 Reviews
Venice, Italy
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
Clifton, NJ
Level Contributor
1,329 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: My Long Awaited Return - What's New on the Rialto?

Thanks for the updates everyone...Over the next few months, I'm sure I'll be in good hands with any questions I may have. On this trip I will be bringing along my 12 year old step son and my mother in law who is a first time traveler. I think they might enjoy a tour of one of the glass making factories on Murano. Does anyone know how to get a tour without the hard sales push? What's the best way to go about this, has anyone gone to one specific factory they would recommend, and how would you go about doing this (is there a schedule, do you have to make an appt, etc.)?

9. Re: My Long Awaited Return - What's New on the Rialto?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 April 2014, 05:17