We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel options in Italy/Switzerland

Which Venice hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Bengaluru, India
4 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Travel options in Italy/Switzerland

Hi,

I am planning on traveling with my family (4 of us) to Italy and Switzerland in early/mid July.

In Italy, I was planning on visiting Rome, Florence, and Venice. And in Switzerland, Lausanne and Interlaken.

I was looking at travel passes (there's no eurail pass for just Italy and Switzerland; and there's no single country pass for Switzerland either). I'd like to know what is my best option for covering Italy and Switzerland - including travel from Italy to Switzerland.

I am actually touring Barcelona as well so I could get a 3 country pass that covers Spain, Italy, and Switzerland (it does exist) but then I can't really take the train option from Barcelona to Rome (too long). So I was thinking of simply covering that by air.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
28,171 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel options in Italy/Switzerland

Eurali passes are almost always poor value for Italy. In addition to the high cost of the pass, you must pay a €10 reservation fee per person for every journey by fast train.

Cheapest in Italy is to book in advance from www.trenitalia.com, using the Italian names for train stations. Due to a timetable change on June 8, not all routes are yet loaded for July. Point-to-point train tickets include the cost of reservations wherever necessary.

There are also limited quantity cheap advance fares from Trenitalia from Milano Centrale to Lausanne if you select <VIEW OTHER PRICES AND SERVICES (CARTAFRECCIA offers, discount cards,other offers)> then choose SMART from the drop-down menu in the Offers column, and in reverse and much easier to find from www.sbb.ch from Spiez to Milan for your journey from Interlaken.

Adelaide
Level Contributor
4,621 posts
205 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travel options in Italy/Switzerland

Don't use Eurail. They're just very expensive resellers of other people's tickets. For Italy, use the national rail carrier Trenitalia (www.trenitalia.com or www.lefrecce.it) or the new company Treno Italo (www.italotreno.it/en)

For Switzerland use their national carrier (www.sbb.ch/en). There are rail passes for Switzerland available through SBB. You just need to work out if their use would save you any money compared to just buying point to point tickets.

Fly to/from Spain.

3. Re: Travel options in Italy/Switzerland

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 May 2014, 05:16