We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Venice to Assisi by train or by bus?

Florida
Level Contributor
46 posts
49 reviews
Save Topic
Venice to Assisi by train or by bus?

Family of 4 traveling from Venice to agriturismo outside of Assisi. Train versus bus from Venice? At the agriturismo for 3 days. Should we train/bus to Perugia and then rent a car for our time in Umbria?

Thanks for the experienced advice!

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
85,294 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Venice to Assisi by train or by bus?

There is no bus from Venice, and (in my opinion) Perugia is a rather busy spot to drive out of.

My choice would be to pick up the rental car at Piazzale Roma in Venice and drive to Assisi. The drive would take around 4 hours on motorways, or a bit longer if you take the more direct route along ordinary roads past Ravenna.

Montelparo, Italy
Level Contributor
2,458 posts
396 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Venice to Assisi by train or by bus?

Perugia has few rental office outside the train station. it is busy but nothing comparable to Rome, Venice or Florence. Normally, in 5 minutes time you reach the San Sisto entrance of the SS 75 and within 30 minutes you'll be at destination.

Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
29,190 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Venice to Assisi by train or by bus?

However trains from Venice to Perugia take around five hours. There are slow because of the change of train in Florence (and sometimes elsewhere) and because they are slow Regional trains after Florence.

If you pick up a car in Venice, you could be at your Agriturismo before you'd pick up the car in Perugia. But if you prefer to avoid driving on fast toll highways, pick up in Perugia.

Montelparo, Italy
Level Contributor
2,458 posts
396 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Venice to Assisi by train or by bus?

Hi ljskrispes, you haven't expressed your opinion about renting at Piazzale Roma in Venice, nor i'm wishing to know how comfortable you feel to drive for several hours.

You might be more lucky than us and gain half an hour respect to the train journey, not much more because when there are 4 passengers, there is at least one stop.

We do drive almost every year from Conegliano Veneto to Umbria skipping the busiest period of August, but there is always an issue on the way: once is the fog, another is the queue due an accident ahead or work in progress during the weekdays. Arrogant lorries drivers are frequent, during the weekends only lorries with special permit can move round but many car drivers led their feet feeling themselves like Alonso or Vettel.

Mind you, the person writing this post is not a slow one. On my records of speed i've reached 220 km/h in Germany,190 in France, 180 in Slovenia and many times through the north and central Italy. all this until the early 90th; now it would be an attitude completely irresponsible. Good luck by the way, and greetings to the crows.

5. Re: Venice to Assisi by train or by bus?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 May 2014, 06:18