We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Burano Island or Lido Beach as a side trip from Venice?

Seattle
Level Contributor
107 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Burano Island or Lido Beach as a side trip from Venice?

We plan to take one side trip during our stay in Venice and would love any thoughts regarding whether Burano Island or Lido Beach would be a better option in early July. We have three children ages 15, 12 and 10. From what I have read, Burano sounds absolutely lovely and picturesque. One of my children tends to get seasick if water travel is too rough. How long is the boat trip from Venice to Burano and is it usually a rough ride in July? Would Lido be a better option? Thank you in advance for sharing your thoughts.

Venice Walking Tour and Gondola Ride
2,601 reviews
from US$54.70*
Dolomite Mountains Small-Group Day...
718 reviews
from US$188.43*
Special Offer
Skip the Line: Venice in One Day...
3,442 reviews
from US$81.45*
US$88.74
Legendary Venice St. Mark's Basilica...
193 reviews
from US$79.02*
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,169 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Burano Island or Lido Beach as a side trip from Venice?

The ferry ride to Burano is no rougher than an average land based bus, so I don’t think that sea sickness would be a problem. The trip to Burano is about 40 minutes. If you do go to Burano, get off the ferry at Mazzorbo, and it’s a nice ten minute walk though a vineyard and over the bridge to Burano. However, a day at the beach might be more fun for the kids, with bicycles to hire etc. The Lido beach itself is pretty ordinary – just a strip of sand.

Singapore
Level Contributor
527 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Burano Island or Lido Beach as a side trip from Venice?

HI Madeline,

I have just posted our trip to Venice on my site so you are welcome to come see. My husband accidently got stranded on Lido Beach as he missed the vaporetto stop to our hotel. We also went to Murano and Burano and both were fabulous. Nothing much for children to do though but more for adults. Still, it is a very enjoyable day trip for my mum, sister and I and we loved the decor of the buildings.

No, we didnt get seasick (i get seasick too) on the way so it should be okay.

Have fun!

baconandjackrussells.com/2013/…

Seattle
Level Contributor
107 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Burano Island or Lido Beach as a side trip from Venice?

Thank you for both replies. Since seasickness does not seem to be a concern I think we will try Burano since it sounds so beautiful.

Also Michloh - thank you for sharing your blog post. I enjoyed reading about Venice!

UK
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
46,844 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Burano Island or Lido Beach as a side trip from Venice?

Burano is very pretty, but if the weather is hot I think youngsters would appreciate a visit too Lido beach more, and it is only a ten minute Vaporetto ride from Venice,

Baildon, United...
Level Contributor
75 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Burano Island or Lido Beach as a side trip from Venice?

We stayed on the Lido and visited Burano recently. We also stayed on the Lido and spent a day on the beach there last July to rest our weary feet and take a break from the incredible heat and humidity of Venice itself. My vote would definitely be for the Lido. As sophie8 says it is only a ten minute vaporetto ride from Venice. Burano is beautiful and charming but I can't see much of an appeal for youngsters.

Savannah, New York
Level Contributor
3 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Burano Island or Lido Beach as a side trip from Venice?

We stayed 5 days on Lido (very busy place, but there is a beach). We were there in May and it was cold and rained. Burano is the place we went back to (quiet and just like the pictures you see). If I would need to choose between the two-Burano is by far the most memorable.

Milano
Level Contributor
4,222 posts
398 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Burano Island or Lido Beach as a side trip from Venice?

Burano and Mazzorbo are really scenic while the Lido is a more touristic place with beaches and various amenities.

On the Lido you may rent a bycicle (just in front of the waterbus stop) ad do the Murazzi bicycle.bonavoglia.eu/citta/lidomurazzi.html

It is very nice and then you may stop for lunch somewhere on the way (Malamocco is a very nice village).

Seattle
Level Contributor
107 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Burano Island or Lido Beach as a side trip from Venice?

Thank you to all who replied! We will definitely visit Burano. It sounds exquisite. But I think if we have time we will also rent bikes on the Lido. Thank you Frances for the link about the bicycle path and the tip about stopping for lunch in Malamocco. I think we will do both!

9. Re: Burano Island or Lido Beach as a side trip from Venice?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 June 2014, 05:17