We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Orient Express - Tipping

Which Venice hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Esher, United...
Level Contributor
29 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Orient Express - Tipping

Sorry if this has been asked before but I haven't found anything. Do you think 50 euros is enough to tip the person who looks after you in your train carriage on the trip from London to Venice? If not, how much would you give. Am I right in assuming all other tips (restaurant waiters) are given at the time of purchase? Thanks for any help given.

Piscataway, New...
Level Contributor
1 post
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Orient Express - Tipping

I couldn't find a good answer to this question online so I asked my travel agent to find out for me. She inquired and found out that 20 euros per person, per day is appropriate for the cabin steward - you can give it to him at the end of the trip.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
84,633 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Orient Express - Tipping

It is not necessary to provide any tip. Tipping is not part of the culture of France or Italy, and it is never necessary to tip for anything in these countries.

I fear the American travel agent was applying USA values that are not relevant in Europe.

Venice
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
9,072 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Orient Express - Tipping

The Orient Express is a British pullman and yes 50 euros is about right . I believe that on the train you can settle your bill rather like a hotel however I could be mixing it with another luxury train.

It is a fantastic experience I hop e you enjoy it!!!!

adelaide
Level Contributor
1,670 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Orient Express - Tipping

bar account and restaurant drinks account are paid seperarely at the end of the trip

tipping is not necessary but I am sure the steward will appreciate a tip

Cardiff
Level Contributor
7 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Orient Express - Tipping

Tipping is acceptable and appreciated in Europe, however not to the same degree as in the USA. It's done if the service is above par, rather than a requriement.

From searching the interweb, it seems as if a tipe of between £10 and €20 (about £18) per person per day is the norm for the Cabin Steward and is paid discreetly in one sum at the end of the journey. I think between £5 and €10 (about £9) for the waiter per meal is also the norm, again paid discreetly in one sum at the end of the journey but to the Maitre D’. But again if service is poor then I personally wouldn't give a tip, however this seems unlikely on the OE.

I should think that if you're going to tip the bar staff, this is done at the time.

Does this seem excessive? How much would you tip at a hotel or for a meal? If you can afford the OE then you're hardly going to quibble about a tip! :-)

Hope this helps.

Edited: 13 November 2013, 12:57
6. Re: Orient Express - Tipping

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 November 2014, 05:17