We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Venice to Rovinj Istria on ferry anyone?

Maple Glen, PA
Level Contributor
545 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Venice to Rovinj Istria on ferry anyone?

We are booked first class passage on the Venezialine ferry from Venice to Rovinj in early September.Has anyone taken this trip. Where is the port for this ferry?

Venice Walking Tour and Gondola Ride
2,564 reviews
from US$56.80*
Special Offer
Dolomite Mountains Small-Group Day...
772 reviews
from US$175.60*
US$195.80
Special Offer
Skip the Line: Venice in One Day...
3,541 reviews
from US$75.80*
US$92.20
St. Mark's Basilica and Doge's Palace...
292 reviews
from US$82.10*
Chorley, United...
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
18,825 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Venice to Rovinj Istria on ferry anyone?

Ferry departs from Stazione Marittima in Venice

Chicago, IL
1 post
Save Reply
2. Re: Venice to Rovinj Istria on ferry anyone?

I am considering taking a ferry from Venice to Istria. Id you take it and how was it?

mbailey@prosort.com

Maple Glen, PA
Level Contributor
545 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Venice to Rovinj Istria on ferry anyone?

Be very careful to check the departure location for your ferry. We took the non stop vaporetto fom San Marco past our departure spot to Stazione Marittima and that was for the cruise ships and no one was there. We were not able to get a cab or bus or anything and we ended up walking back...with luggage, a long long way and more expensive than our regular vaporetto pass. So double check for your ferry.

We booked first class passage. turns out no one else did and we were all by ourselves on the upper level.

There is no outside. It is very crowded downstairs in second class and you pretty much sit in long rows of people. It was a great sunset out of Venice. I would book it that way again.

Venice
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
9,437 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Venice to Rovinj Istria on ferry anyone?

Check where the ferries go from - All the ones I have taken from Venice I have left from San Basilio. I have been to Porec a few times.

Take Vaporetto to San Basilio stop and then you literally cross one bridge and it is there. You can see the cats / boats moored there. You go in and it is pretty simple almost a check in / passport check .

However due to teh increase this might have changed I would e mail Venezia lines - they are pretty good on replying..

Venice
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
9,437 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Venice to Rovinj Istria on ferry anyone?

On Venezia lines web site under ports ( how to get to ) it does say San Basilio. As for the crossing of 1 bridge its a small easy one - They also say check in 2 hrs before mmmmm. I would ( possibly !) and then pop back to the Zattere for a coffee !!!

Island of Hawaii...
Level Contributor
1,526 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Venice to Rovinj Istria on ferry anyone?

Hi kkgt,

when you said you booked first class, do you mean that you added the "VIP lounge" when you bought the ticket?

On the website, there's only one fare/class, but there's an additional fare for VIP lounge.

Thanks.

Venice
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
9,437 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Venice to Rovinj Istria on ferry anyone?

I always used the VIP bit it was not much more the seats were more spacious and the views as already said were great.

Some people do pay extra on the return expecially if the boat is full - It starts as a day trip from Croatia so worth pre booking IMO.

Maple Glen, PA
Level Contributor
545 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Venice to Rovinj Istria on ferry anyone?

Yes it is the VIP lounge, different title than when we went 2 years ago. It is San Basilico where we got on, not Stazione Marittima, but double check as things can change. And yes check in as directed and go get that drink or coffee. Have fun.

9. Re: Venice to Rovinj Istria on ferry anyone?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 October 2009, 00:18