We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

vaparetto in venice....

Which Venice hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
8 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
vaparetto in venice....

Hi.... can anyone advise the costs of the vaparettos in venice? We dock at the far west side of the island.... is the vaparetto the best way to get to St Marks sq?

Does anyone have any "do not miss" attractions they can recommend?

Many thanks.....

Venice, Italy
Destination Expert
for Venice, City of Venice
Level Contributor
7,411 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: vaparetto in venice....

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g187870-c135096/Venic… has information on the transport costs

Philadelphia...
Destination Expert
for Rio de Janeiro
Level Contributor
18,303 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: vaparetto in venice....

Top Ten Things to do in Venice:

http://bit.ly/6kB6Pv

Day trips from Venice:

http://bit.ly/Y6jNeC

Cortland, New York
Level Contributor
3,333 posts
298 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: vaparetto in venice....

MonteCD Thank you so much for the link of the top 10 things to do in Venice. We arrive in Venice on September 30, and I appreciate the ideas to help me plan our trip!

Anthem, Arizona
Level Contributor
1,091 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: vaparetto in venice....

If you have the time to read some trip reports about visiting Venice and the islands in the lagoon, at the heading for this forum there is a link that will take you to some great reads on experiencing Venice. I agree with having the DK Top 10, we always have it in the travel bag, but, sometimes it is just lovely to, sit as it were, on the shoulder of someone that is giving a feet on the ground account. There is some lovely information there. I know Sophie & Yvonne always encourage a trip report to be sent to that link!

Mississauga,Ontario
Level Contributor
390 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: vaparetto in venice....

We just came back from Venice in May and we really enjoyed it. This was our second time there. As far as getting to St. Marks Square you will need to take the vaparetto, and St. Marks is not far from the stop.

The following is based on my experience in Venice. As far as places to see, well St. Marks(San Marco) of course, Rialto Bridge and vicinity (there is so much going on in that area) Check out the Opera House,

the designer boutiques, the various restaurants and the ,specialty shops.

At the Ca d'Oro stop once you exit the vaporetto,follow the little street until you get to Strada Nuova. I loved that section, you could find everything there, even had a McDonalds and a grocery store lol.

So once you get your pass ( I would suggest something more than the 11$ return) there are so many interesting and wonderful sites to take in.

Have a great time

UK
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
45,836 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: vaparetto in venice....

Do buy the book Sheila mentions, is small and basic but really full of useful information,

bedford
Level Contributor
1,354 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: vaparetto in venice....

Hi there..jumping in on this thread. I just read the information on the transportation...Question..if you purchase the Vaperetto tickets online - seems like you still have to pick them up somewhere..so it doesn't really save anytime or anything right?

might as well buy while you are there. OR is there any kind of time savings..less line at the machines etc.

so if we are arriving at the train station..we can just buy them there for our 72 hours pass.

UK
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
45,836 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: vaparetto in venice....

You would still to pick them up at Hello Venezia several places but often queues , and no advantage now as there is no discount, buy at any manned vaporetto,or the automatic machines,

bedford
Level Contributor
1,354 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: vaparetto in venice....

Thanks Sophie!

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
8 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: vaparetto in venice....

Thank you ... this post gives lots of helpful information to help plan our trip.