We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting to Piazza San Marco or Zattere from Venezia

Which Venice hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Atlanta, Georgia
1 post
Save Topic
Getting to Piazza San Marco or Zattere from Venezia

Hello...I'm coming from Milan and arriving at Venezia Mestre and I would like to get to Piazza San Marco or Zattere because my hotel, Hilton Molino Stucky offers a complimentary shuttle. I'm traveling with a group of 6 people (including myself). What is the best and least expensive way to get there?

UK
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
46,124 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting to Piazza San Marco or Zattere from Venezia

May be better to take the Train to Venice Santa Lucia. actually in Venice Mestre is the mainland, from there take a Line 2 Vaporetto anti clockwise to Palanca a short walk to the Hotel., you would have to take a Vaporetto anyway to get to Zattere or San Marco to catch the Hilton Shuttle,

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for The Hebrides
Level Contributor
6,676 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting to Piazza San Marco or Zattere from Venezia

The other option, as there are six of you and the vaporetti are not cheap, would be to take a taxi from Mestre train station to San Basilio. From there you can walk along the Zattere to the place where the Hilton shuttle boat will pick you up.

UK
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
46,124 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Getting to Piazza San Marco or Zattere from Venezia

Only trouble with that a Land Taxi will only take 4 people,

Venice, Italy
Destination Expert
for Venice, City of Venice
Level Contributor
7,551 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Getting to Piazza San Marco or Zattere from Venezia

Dhmellor, personally I don't know, so maybe you could confirm from experience, but are you sure that land taxi cabs have access to be able to reach the Zattere pedestrian exit of the port area? I believe the last section is mostly warehouses, so I question that they might get dropped off with a long walk through the port before walking the length of the Zattere (plus a couple bridges) to reach the Zattere stop. Just a doubt that comes to me, you might know differently.

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for The Hebrides
Level Contributor
6,676 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Getting to Piazza San Marco or Zattere from Venezia

I think I_Heart will know better than me, as he lives in the city! From memory, I had thought that you could drive as far as the footbridge across the Rio di San Sebastiano, but I may be wrong.

I take sophie's point about the size of a taxi, but you may be able to book a bigger vehicle, OP (a 'van' as it's known in some circles) - try veniceshuttle in Mestre. If you want to get there the least expensive way, a big taxi would probably be a lot cheaper than six vaporetto fares. But as I_Heart says, you may have a bit of a walk along the Zattere.

Edited: 11 July 2013, 10:12
6. Re: Getting to Piazza San Marco or Zattere from Venezia

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 July 2014, 05:17