We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visiting Venice - staying in Murano

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
26 posts
45 reviews
Save Topic
Visiting Venice - staying in Murano

Need some local advise. Am planning a trip to Venice and have found a really good deal staying at the LaGare Hotel in Murano. How hard/easy is it to stay on Murano and get in/out of Venice for daily sightseeing opportunities. Am planning on staying 3nights in Venice so wont be doing it endlessly. Also apart from the hotel itself what options would there be on Murano for eating out at some restuarants.

UK
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
47,223 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Visiting Venice - staying in Murano

Very easy but do get a travel pass, as Vaporetti are expensive, the 4.1 and 4.2 vaporetti run regularity

between Venice and Murano, they circumnavigate Venice one clock wise and the other anti clockwise also the No 3 3 goes to the Station area,, the 4.2 is the one to go to Piazza San Marco area , main sites although there are places to see all over the Island, cannot think off hand of Restaurants on Murano but should have no problem

http://www.actv.it/sites/default/files/Mappa_linee_02_04_2012_100x70%20copia(1).pdf

Edited: 20 July 2013, 13:17
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
25,427 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Visiting Venice - staying in Murano

Just think of it in terms of how you normally operate on holiday. If you like to return to your room for a rest or to freshen up before night it adds an extra time dimension to getting there and back. The trip can be pleasant over the lagoon and there can be good photo opportunities at dusk and evening, but it may be time consuming. Up to you!

Chorley, United...
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
18,704 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Visiting Venice - staying in Murano

Staying in Murano when you intend to visit Venice will entail a lot of travelling . The water buses cost 7 euros per one-way tgrip so a round trip willcost 14 euros wehich means a period pass will be esentia'

l

There is some good eating to be had in Murano - Busa alla Torre in Campo San Stefano, just across the canal from S. Pietro Martire is excellent for lunches but used to be closed in the evening - I have not eaten there for a couple of years.

Antica Trattoria Valmarana on Fondamenta Navagero hasa good reputation and has always been busy when I have passed by.

One place I like on a hot day is the trattoria (sorry name forgotten) to be found if you turn to your left when you get off the 4.1 or 4.2 water bus at the Museo landing stage. It is about 50 yards down the Fondamenta and has a lovely orchard at the back where you can eat in the shade of the trees. I have only had lunch there but very pleasant and well worth going back to.

if you turn to your right when you get off at the Museo landing stage and walk along the Fondamenta past the Glass Museum there is a pleasant snack bar just before you get to the lovely church of Santia Maria e Donato.

Los Angeles...
Destination Expert
for Venice, Provence-Alpes-Cote d'Azur
Level Contributor
9,528 posts
486 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Visiting Venice - staying in Murano

If at all possible, stay in Venice, IMO. It will save the travel time and you can easily stop by your hotel to change shoes, drop off packages, or for a potty break. It is sort of like coming to New York City and staying in Brooklyn.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
26 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Visiting Venice - staying in Murano

Thank you all for your responses. You've confirmed what I already thought but just needed confirmation

london
Level Contributor
65 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Visiting Venice - staying in Murano

I just booked a lastminute trip to stay at that same hotel for 5 nights. I know that the hotel has it's own transfer service from the aiport/ railway to the hotel. I am not sure if this same service can be used during your stay as well into Venice.

I know it's not Venice 'proper' but it was a good deal and I have been to Venice before for a short trip (and do remember the by waterbus from Venice to Murano). The hotel has fantastic reviews and I thought that the transfer service from the airport made up slightly for the need to use the waterbus more frequentlt. We were going to need it anyway.

We were also planning some afternoons at the beach so will be taking the water taxi to Lido which runs in the summer months from Murano to Lido. I will be starting my own thread shortly to ask some questions of my own!

Chorley, United...
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
18,704 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Visiting Venice - staying in Murano

Alilanuba funs a service from Murano to the Lido; does the ACTV water bus do the samething nowadays?

london
Level Contributor
65 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Visiting Venice - staying in Murano

Ah, I see, you are right. I was confused... Thanks for pointing that out!

london
Level Contributor
65 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Visiting Venice - staying in Murano

I was confused, but I have checked a map and it seems that there is an ACTV route from Murano to Lido called Laguna Nord: http://www.actv.it/pdf/flyer_linea_15.pdf

Venice
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
9,333 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Visiting Venice - staying in Murano

Will take you a lot longer to go on the LN route it goes out to Burano and round. If ypu go to Fond Nove you can change there and take the Lido service ( apart from the w/e when as on the other thread there is a Murano - Lido service )