We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting to airport for morning flight

Catonsville...
Level Contributor
42 posts
75 reviews
Save Topic
Getting to airport for morning flight

My employee and I are travelling to Tuscany for a two week professional retreat during the month of August, and seeing as how it was cheaper to fly in and out of Venice and take the train to the retreat, we decided to do this. I have a few questions, but my main one is in regards to our return flight.

We will be taking the train back from Florence on a Sunday night arriving in Venice around 6:30pm. Our international flight leaves Marco Polo airport Monday morning at 11:30am. What time do we need to be at the airport, and where is the best place for an overnight? Near the train station? Near the airport? Somewhere in Venice proper that is quick and easy to get to the airport? How do we travel to the airport on Monday morning to assure that we arrive on time?

The other area I am looking for advice is in regards to the day we will have in Venice upon arriving. We will arrive around 9am on a Tuesday morning, and will be taking the train to Florence around 3pm on Wednesday -- giving us a day and half to enjoy Venice. I already have a guesthouse booked walking distance to Saint Mark's square, though we won't be able to "check in" until Tuesday afternoon (we can drop our luggage though). Any thoughts on something to do on Tuesday that allows us to just soak in the ambience of Venice?

I have been to Venice for a full trip about 9 years ago, so I'm not expecting or needing to do anything particularly touristy - I've already taken all the historical tours, etc. in the past. The family member I previously visited Venice with passed away this last September, and he and I absolutely loved Venice -- just enjoying wandering down the alleys at night, soaking in the ambience and get a great meal - so I'm hoping to find somewhere to go or something to do for our one day/night in Venice that honors my former favorite travel companion.

Mentioned in this post
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
Florence
Florence
Province of Florence, Italy
Marco Polo Airport
Marco Polo Airport
Venice, Italy
St. Mark's Square
St. Mark's Square
30,693 Reviews
Venice, Italy
UK
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
48,694 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting to airport for morning flight

For International flights you would need 3 hours check in, but no problem in getting from Venice to the Airport around 8.30 , from Venice there is a good Bus service buses leave from Piazzale Roma, for convenience a Hotel in that area would be the best option,

Mentioned in this post
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
Piazzale Roma
Piazzale Roma
27 Reviews
Venice, Italy
Neptune Beach, FL
Level Contributor
3,488 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting to airport for morning flight

Hello kesrya,

It seems pretty formidable to try to intuit something to do that would 'honor your former favorite travel companion'.

Suggest you look in tripadvisor's list of "Things to Do". Click on that tab at the top of this screen. Or, just click here to get to the same place: tripadvisor.com/Attractions-g187870-Activiti…

This list is in approximate order of popularity, and is based on input from thousands of tripadvisor user reviews. If there is anything to be done in Venice, it is in this list! And the most recent reviews give you the current information.

Have a good trip!

Spirit

Mentioned in this post
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
3. Re: Getting to airport for morning flight

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 July 2014, 05:16