We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Do you think 4 nights in Venice may be too long?

Which Venice hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Tafton, Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
23 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Do you think 4 nights in Venice may be too long?

My husband and I will be visiting Italy for our 1st time. We will be staying in a villa in Sienna for a week, with a overnight in Florence before check into the villa. Our plan was to than take the train from Florence to Venice for 4 nights and than train to Rome for 5 nights, before flying home from Rome.

A friend mentioned that maybe 4 nights was too long in Venice? Should I stay in Florence another night before going on to Venice?

All suggestions and info Welcomed !!!!!

Thanks - Jacque

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
38,737 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Do you think 4 nights in Venice may be too long?

Depends on what you want to see in Venice and Florence

I would add another night to Florence but it really depends on your personal interests

I am not a huge fan of Venice but I spent four nights there last year and could easily have spent more time given all there is to see. It was not my first visit.

Your guidebook will help you figure out how to spend your time so you can figure out how many days to stay there.

UK
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
45,984 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Do you think 4 nights in Venice may be too long?

If you have not been to Venice before, there really is a lot too see, I certainly would not say 4 nights was too long at all,

St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
20,152 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Do you think 4 nights in Venice may be too long?

I was in Venice for 10 nights in April 2012 and did not get to see everything on my list of thinkgs to see. So, No, 4 nights is not too long.

Tafton, Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
23 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Do you think 4 nights in Venice may be too long?

Thanks everyone, I do appreciate your advise!

San Antonio...
Level Contributor
116 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Do you think 4 nights in Venice may be too long?

We are staying 6 nights in Venice in September (but it is my favorite city) for the fourth year in a row. I never get tired of it and we just wonder around taking photos and getting lost. I can never seem to get enough of it. It is a magical city. We have been to all the sites, but always find something new to see and do.

ireland
Level Contributor
137 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Do you think 4 nights in Venice may be too long?

Same here, I be going in September for my third time to Venice and just love walking around. I am never tired of taking photos from sunrise to the night and just love to go to the market and buy some lovely food what I eat on my balcony. I think 4 days are not enough to see everything and get to relax and enjoy Venice.

Manchester, England
Level Contributor
21 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Do you think 4 nights in Venice may be too long?

No, not at all. We visited Venice for 5 nights with kids and we were never bored. It is magical a magical city and as cubanjunky said you can never get bored of walking around, we just looked in shops and saw San Marco Square, you can also take a train to Verona. You can take water buses as well to some islands. I think Murano is good because there is a glass making factory but Lido isn't worth it as there is nothing to do.

Boston
Level Contributor
46 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Do you think 4 nights in Venice may be too long?

I would stay another night in Florence. We spent 3 nights in Venice and thought 2 would have been enough.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
1,164 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Do you think 4 nights in Venice may be too long?

Hi Jacque!

I don't think it's quite the right question. 4 nights in Venice will never be too much. You could spend a lifetime there and continually be charmed by the city and its people.

Another question might be: we have 5 nights are are currently trying to decide between 1 in Florence and 4 in Venice or 2 in Florence and 3 in Venice.

As you see here, some have recommended spending the extra night in Florence. I think that's OK. I'm always in favor reducing spot-hopping as much as possible. I love Venice, but perhaps 2 night in Florence would give you a better taste of the city. So I would suggest the 2-3 option for that reason. Both are cities that would warrant many more days than you can offer this trip. But you can get feel for each and then come back again to explore more deeply next time.

Staying in a villa outside Siena should be fun. You don't mention which one or where you'll be, but I find staying in the Tuscan countryside one of my favorite memories in life.

Will you have a car? I hope so because that region is best explored by car. Consider these photos from our recent trip there:

flickr.com/photos/…

Much of the really beautiful parts of that region are best reached by wandering along the back roads in a rental car.

-Karl

Edited: 31 July 2013, 05:33
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
23,430 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Do you think 4 nights in Venice may be too long?

on my husband's and my first trip to Europe together nearly 30 years ago we started with 5 nights in Venice -- it wasn't quite long enough. In the 4 full days we had we didn't even get out to Burano and Murano -- but we sure did enjoy exploring the islands that make up the city. it does depend on what you hope to get out of the trip -- but Venice is a great town to just wander until you run out of places to go.