We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

opera and young child

Houston
Level Contributor
186 posts
1 review
Save Topic
opera and young child

Are young children welcomed/permitted at Teatro La Fenice or Musica A Palazzo? I want to bring my 4 year-old...He has successfully attended symphonies, ballet, and stage theatre and can sit through such lengthy events without being disruptive (though intermission for a bathroom break is possibly important). I am not uncertain about bringing him, just if he will be disallowed or considered unwelcome despite being a good patron. If both are options, any feedback on which to choose would be welcome.

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for The Hebrides
Level Contributor
7,256 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: opera and young child

We took our children to La Fenice, though they were older than four. But Italy is an extremely child-friendly country, and I would be very surprised if you encountered any resistance as long as your child is quiet and well behaved. If you take a box seat, then slipping out to go for a pee will not be a problem.

Chorley, United...
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
18,708 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: opera and young child

I have greatly enjoyed opera at La Fenice from one of the boxes which I think would be ideal if you have a four year old. He could move around without disturbing others and go to the bathroom whenever he needs to.

Houston
Level Contributor
186 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: opera and young child

The only seats available at La Fenice's website are Stall A and Stall B, or one night not preferable for my itinerary includes some for Central Box-Back seats. Advice? I am not sure if I should look for tickets from another source, if Stalls A/B also might work for a young child, if central box back seats would be good view, etc.

Also, any thoughts on if a young child would also be well accepted at Musica A Palazza? The two seem to be very different experiences, so I am contemplating taking in both. Can anyone offer comments to help me choose amongst the performances: Rigoletto, La Traviata (on at Fenice), The Barber of Seville, and Love Duets?

Thanks!

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
1,084 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: opera and young child

I have enjoyed Love Duets and their version of Traviata at Musica a Palazzo. They are not full operas so the duration is shorter and you move between several rooms. It's lovely. I didn't notice any children at the performances I attended but also didn't see anything saying you had to be a certain age to attend. As someone mentioned it is indeed a very child friendly country. Your four year old sounds like a lovely child. Hope you all enjoy your visit to the City of My Dreams.....where I hope to get to La Fenice this year....if there is anything on in December.

Michelle

Houston
Level Contributor
186 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: opera and young child

thanks so much for your feedback. In your opinion, is there anything that would seem explicit in the love duets?

Anyone else have feedback on La Fenice tickets/seats?

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
1,084 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: opera and young child

Absolutely not if I understand what you mean by explicit. It's all famous operatic duets. And remember....it's all in Italian....no subtitles even if your four year old can read. It is lovely music and beautiful voices.

Edited: 11 August 2013, 04:39
Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
1,084 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: opera and young child

Here is the description of Love Duets from their website:

www.musicapalazzo.com/program/duetti-d-amore/

8. Re: opera and young child

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 August 2014, 05:17