We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Christmas Markets in Venice?

London, United...
Level Contributor
468 posts
41 reviews
Save Topic
Christmas Markets in Venice?

I have just booked my Venice trip for mid-December this year. Are there any Christmas markets in operation? If so, would someone please direct me to the website or would you please give me a bit more info on where they are?

Thank you very much.

Elaine

UK
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
47,230 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Christmas Markets in Venice?

There has been a Christmas fair in the past in Campo S.Stefeno in San Marco but do not think it is there these days, check nearer the time,

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
119 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Christmas Markets in Venice?

The Campo S Stefano market has been gone for a long time sadly. The last few years there has been a ice skating rink set up in Campo San Polo along with some regional food stalls. It is a bit festive, although last year, there were no Christmas lights up at the rink. Via Garibaldi didn't have any lights up either. :(

3. Re: Christmas Markets in Venice?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 February 2015, 20:14
Surrey
Level Contributor
2,454 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Christmas Markets in Venice?

Last December there was one stall in Campo San Bartolomeo selling Christmas decorations for charity. I don't think there was anything in Campo San Maurizio and the ones along Strada Nova were just the usual type of market stall selling tourist stuff, nothing like the proper Christmas markets there used to be in Campo San Stefano. For the last two years, the paltry market by the ice rink has been very disappointing. This was all mid-December when the OP is intending to visit this year. Maybe there was more later in the month?

London, United...
Level Contributor
468 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Christmas Markets in Venice?

Thank you for your responses! Unfortunately, due to work commitments we can only take the 13th weekend off. We will be there for Venice & the markets would be a bonus if there happens to be any.

Venice, Italy
Destination Expert
for Venice, City of Venice
Level Contributor
7,751 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Christmas Markets in Venice?

The Santo Stefano market used to last for a couple/few weeks before Christmas, but the stands along Strada Nova to San Bartolomeo are usually only the last few days, probably not a full week.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
1,083 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Christmas Markets in Venice?

When I was there last year the San Polo ice rink area was all I saw and also the stand selling Christmas decorations previously mentioned.

Unlike here in the US(where they start usually sometime in July..or at least seem to) the lights and decorations on buildings didn't really start till later in December....after my birthday on 12/12. I left on December 19 but will be there through Christmas this year so will be searching for more.

Venice, Italy
Destination Expert
for Venice, City of Venice
Level Contributor
7,751 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Christmas Markets in Venice?

Often, where lights are still hung (it seems less places every year) they can last through the New Year, until at least the Epiphany, and last year, with an early Carnival, straight through until after Ash Wednesday.

I suppose that is in returning to the old tradition that Carnival began as soon as the Befana's Bonfire was cold the morning of January 7. It still feels an awful pity that the Santo Stafano market is no longer held.

baltimore
Level Contributor
3,183 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Christmas Markets in Venice?

When does Venice start decorating for Christmas?

1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Christmas Markets in Venice?

I have also booked this weekend in venice and was wondering the same thing.

I am stayin in Santa Croce.