We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train tickets - Venice to Vienna

Which Venice hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
37 posts
Save Topic
Train tickets - Venice to Vienna

I am trying to book train tickets for the overnight train from Venice to Vienna for 3 people - 2 adults and a kid. Trenitalia website does not show availability of Smart fares. Surprisingly there is even no discount for 4 year olds as the child discount is for 6 and above.

Italiarail shows availability of smart fares but after I provided my credit card info and try to purchase, it tells me that it cannot be confirmed in the trenitalia system but continues to show their availability.

Not sure what's happening and if there is another way to get Smart fare or if they are actually sold out. Thoughts and tips?

Quainton, United...
Level Contributor
7,628 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Train tickets - Venice to Vienna

Just to clarify, when using Trenitalia, do you mean no smart prices appear WHEN YOU SELECT SMART in the fare selection stage, or do you mean, "When I select the train I see no smart fares only full-price, because I have NOT clicked 'view other prices & services' and have NOT selected Smart"?

What date are you trying for?

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
37 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Train tickets - Venice to Vienna

On Trenitalia, after clicking view other fares, I see 'Smart' but it is greyed out. I am able to select 'Smart 2' but then it gives a message of not available later on. I was looking tickets for one way departure on Saturday, Sep 28. FromVenice to Vienna. Thanks.

Quainton, United...
Level Contributor
7,628 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Train tickets - Venice to Vienna

OK, booking should be open for then.

Try using www.oebb.at as this is OK to use for these night trains, you'll get a self-print ticket.

I've just tried it for 28 Sept on the direct EN (EuroNight) train with no changes.

It's giving me €69+€20 for a couchette, €29 with a seat (you cannot add a couchette with the €29 fare, it seems), but I'd always book a couchette at least.

Can't test it to payment, but so far so good.

Edited: 04 September 2013, 12:13
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
37 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Train tickets - Venice to Vienna

Thanks for checking. I was reading in a post on Tripadvisor that tickets for travel from Venice should be booked on the Italian site otherwise they are not valid. Not sure if that is true, otherwise would book from this site.

5. Re: Train tickets - Venice to Vienna

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 September 2014, 05:17