We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Grand Canal Boat Trips

Hampshire, UK
Level Contributor
684 posts
117 reviews
Save Topic
Grand Canal Boat Trips

Hi - coming to Venice end of this month. Friends have recommended taking a boat trip down the Grand Canal and the smaller canals.

I can't really find much about them on here, the No2 Attraction in Venice is the Grand Canal, and all the things that go with it, but not specifically these tours.

Can anyone advise -

- are they easy to find (apparently to the left of St Mark's Square),

- how much are they? (roughly)

- are there lots of different companies?

- if so, are they all similar in quality?

- do I need to pre-book - if so how? do you have any company names?

and finally I suppose, would you recommend them. (As a trip to take in a 7-8 hour visit to Venice)

Many thanks

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
87,028 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Grand Canal Boat Trips

I do not know of any tours. The best trip along the Grand Canal is on the vaporetto (water bus) Line 1. A single journey costs €7, and you buy tickets at the vaporetto stop at St Mark's.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
41,133 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Grand Canal Boat Trips

Or, if you arrive via train - buy the vaporetto tickets at the train station (Venezia S Lucia).

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
32,686 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Grand Canal Boat Trips

I don't know exactly what your friends said but I think you may have either added the word "trip" to it, or else interpreted "trip" to mean "organised tour". They almost certainly recommended taking a boat (i.e. a vaporetto = water bus) down the Grand Canal, in the same way in which you might recommend taking a bus down Regent St.

There are, however, organised and guided (commented) tours of the Grand Canal by motor boat, see e.g. isango.com/italy-tours/venice-tours/grand-ca… - I don't know how many such tours/companies there are, it must be easy enough to research this on the internet. But in my opinion it is unnecessary and expensive compared with a vaporetto ticket.

Venice
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
9,214 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Grand Canal Boat Trips

To the left if San Marco are biat trips to the islands. Others that do private grand canal tours are venice events click on tours and belissime tours.

5. Re: Grand Canal Boat Trips

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 February 2015, 20:21
UK
Level Contributor
1,598 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Grand Canal Boat Trips

The vaporettos do not travel on "the smaller canals". They go around the central Venice group of islands - about 100 small islands - and to Giudecca and the other main islands of the Lagoon. They also go along the Cannaregio Canal. To see the smaller canals - some of them - you might need a gondola. I think qaminari is probably right. While many people would use the #1 or #2 vaporettos to get where they want to go, others might just use them as a boat trip to see the palaces of the Grand Canal.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
25,372 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Grand Canal Boat Trips

We enjoy travelling on all the various vaporetti routes around Venice but it is possible to do tours of the Grand Canal by the equivalent of a Water Taxi (think water limousine). However, reports on TA have not been favourable. There have been better reports on the joys of touring the back canals via small boats, I think called topas. See the first review here

tripadvisor.com.au/ShowUserReviews-g187870-r…

freetourvenice.com/group-daily-tours/…

If we ever manage to return, I would love to do this

Hampshire, UK
Level Contributor
684 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Grand Canal Boat Trips

Thanks everyone, I have received some more information from my friend, this is the boat tour she booked (she booked through British Airways though)

…viator.com/tour/…

I would rather not book before we travel, as I do not know which day we will be visiting Venice, so I wondered if you can just attend on the day?

We will arrive at Piazziale Roma, and intend to walk to St Marks etc, probably take a vaporetti back to the car park.

The Topa Tour operator appears to be no longer running, according to some other TA reports, but I have emailed anyway, just in case.

Belissime Tours etc look like the boats I am after - thanks for that.

As does the icango link.

I am looking for the best way to see and learn as much as possible in a short time and these boat tours/trips seem like the best way of doing that? But I am happy to be contradicted, and told to get round and learn using the Vaporetti!

Thanks so much x

Venice
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
9,214 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Grand Canal Boat Trips

Viator sells veniceevents tours I believe..

Hampshire, UK
Level Contributor
684 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Grand Canal Boat Trips

thanks - the veniceevents Grand Canal Tour appears to only be once a day - at 4.45pm - does this seem correct?