We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

So overwhelmed with hotel/b&b choices

Which Venice hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
322 posts
Save Topic
So overwhelmed with hotel/b&b choices

Please help! My husband and I are travelling with our 6 year old son next July. Looking for a hotel or B&B (for two nights) based on the following:

- central location

- not too far from train station

- we like charm and the personal touch; staying at a b&b appeals to us (with a great breakfast), and would like a clean room, with bathtub (not tired looking)

- budget: not more than $350 a night

Any feedback is much appreciated!!!

Los Angeles...
Destination Expert
for Venice, Provence-Alpes-Cote d'Azur
Level Contributor
7,947 posts
446 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: So overwhelmed with hotel/b&b choices

Not that close to the train station, but if you can get a room at Locanda Orseolo you will be happy. Two nights is really only one day, so you will likely be very busy exploring Venice and spending little time in your room.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
322 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: So overwhelmed with hotel/b&b choices

Thank you - any other suggestions that would rival Locanda Orseolo? I know this b&b is rated #1...anything just slightly more modern regarding the actual room, perhaps slightly less traditional/Venetian?

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
322 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: So overwhelmed with hotel/b&b choices

It will be the beginning of a three week trip, so we want to ease into la dolce vita :) a comfortable bed is a must.

Edited: 08 September 2013, 03:48
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
25,268 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: So overwhelmed with hotel/b&b choices

Many B&Bs in Italy are not rooms in someone's house, but more like a small hotel with maybe 4 or 5 rooms and the owner not living on-site. This can come as a bit of a surprise. Also an Italian breakfast tends to be juice, a pastry or roll and coffee, maybe some yoghurt if you are lucky. Big hotels will have more of a cosmopolitan spread.

We stayed at www.aitagliapietra.com but while the bathrooms are modern, they have showers not baths (at least ours did)

As to location not too far from the train station, it is easy enough to just get on a vaporetto right in front of the station and alight near your hotel, though if you have a deal of child gear, I can understand not wanting to go far. The thing to check carefully on Googlemaps is the number of bridges that need to be crossed with your luggage, preferably none.

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
9 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: So overwhelmed with hotel/b&b choices

Hi

we really struggled finding anywhere nice in Venice that wasnt ridiculously overpriced. In the end we decided to start in Venice rather than finish. Although not our original plan, we warmed to this place...al redentore di venezia. i can give you some feedback midweek if it would be of any interest.

Rov

UK
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
46,245 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: So overwhelmed with hotel/b&b choices

Have a look at this B&B , wwe have stayed there, not far from thhe station,

http://www.locandadelmelograno.it/

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
322 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: So overwhelmed with hotel/b&b choices

Thank you all for the responses; it has certainly helped narrow things down!

north carolina
Level Contributor
6,501 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: So overwhelmed with hotel/b&b choices

The warning about breakfast, especially for Venice, I think is apt. Breakfast may be good, but very light. I would usually want to hit a cafe within and hour or so after the hotel breakfast in Venice. In other cities there is a better chance of finding a more substantial breakfast if you look for it.

Also, i like to suggest that you go for the city, not the hotel. Don't get too strung out about finding a hotel, because you will spend most of your time away from your room - and the blessing is that the beautiful, exciting city with all the sights/canals/vaporetto/churches come free with the room regardless of where you stay.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
322 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: So overwhelmed with hotel/b&b choices

Well said, thank you!

Collegeville, PA
Level Contributor
509 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: So overwhelmed with hotel/b&b choices

Have a look at B and B Sandra... fairly reasonable by Venice standards. Read their reviews; they are spot on. Very close to nice restaurants, some of which have canal side dining. Their rates are fairly modest.

Sandra's breakfasts are superb and are spectacular. If you reserve now, you may be fortunate enough to reserve the top floor. It is a large accommodation with a roof altana overlooking a canal and rooftops.

Be sure to look at all aspects of their website. It is wonderful. There is a lot to read about.