We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Water taxi transfers, Venice airport to hotel

Which Venice hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Grasse
Level Contributor
1 post
11 reviews
Save Topic
Water taxi transfers, Venice airport to hotel

There is an old post from 2nd October 2006 about pre-booked water transfers which has unfortunately been suspended for further comment, because it exactly matches my very recent experience (6th September 2013).

"Two days before leaving we received [a message] which said the transfer would usually be by water taxi from the airport but the taxi firm could alter this to a car transfer to P Roma and water taxi from there to hotel....We were then transferred in a glorified van to P Roma, had a 10 min water taxi ride on the back canal, and were then dumped some distance from our hotel and we had to walk at least 800m to the hotel!"

In my case, it was slightly worse, because the 'taxi' was 30 minutes late and neither telephone number provided worked. When we complained to the 'airport representative', she said she was doing me a favour by calling another number! In my case, the culprit agency was venetoinside.com, although the voucher was from 'Itaiianescapade'.

Has anyone recently had the same experience, especially with one of these two agencies?

Chorley, United...
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
18,464 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Water taxi transfers, Venice airport to hotel

I have had no experience with either of these agencies. I never book a water taxi in advance and have never had a problem after landing at Marco Polo in booking water taxi at the desk in the Arrivals Hall. The only untoward incident was once when the launch's motor broke down in the middle of the Giudecca canal and we left wallowing in the wake of alt he liners and vaporetti for half an hour before another launch came and towed us to the canal-side.

Sometimes when the tide is in and the water level in the lagoon is high a private water taxi may have difficulty passing under the bridges in some small canals so you may have to be dropped off some distance from your destination and walk the rest of the way.

I my have been fortunate but this has only happend to me once in some 30 years of visiting Venice.

Venice
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
9,010 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Water taxi transfers, Venice airport to hotel

Never heard if them... my suggestion to anybody is to go as direct as possible to the taxi companies. Try to eliminate any thrid parties - agencies or brokers .

I am sorry that you ahd to go through tnis and one hopes that your thread will help people NOT to book in the future.

3. Re: Water taxi transfers, Venice airport to hotel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 September 2014, 05:17