We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Worried about Italian menus

Which Venice hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Aberdeen, United...
Level Contributor
297 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Worried about Italian menus

I've read lots of restaurant reviews stating that menus provided in some places were only in Italian and I'm worried about making a fool of myself ordering badly! Can anyone alleviate my concerns??!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
37 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Worried about Italian menus

I've heard all the best places have menus only in Italian. Just be adventurous and ask for help when needed. Could be useful to learn the Italian word for anything you can't or don't want to eat though

Fintry, United...
Level Contributor
417 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Worried about Italian menus

if you are in possession of a smart phone, you will want to keep an eye out for this app due for release this month!

prlog.org/12198176-new-iphone-app-to-transla…

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
38,687 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Worried about Italian menus

There are many small italian food dictionaries out there - just pick one up. It's what people did in the dark ages before the internet and all the new technology.

Nearly all of the restaurants now - yes, the good ones, have an English translation beneath the Italian description - with so many people traveling, it is not like it used to be.

Italy
Level Contributor
6,041 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Worried about Italian menus

And waiters can speak English.

Milan, Italy
Level Contributor
4,028 posts
1,674 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Worried about Italian menus

ccccdddddd, i Had the same problem the last summer in Baviera: many menus are only in German and sometimes the waiters don't speak English

UK
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
45,836 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Worried about Italian menus

I have found more places do have English versions as well as Italian than don't,

Level Contributor
1,251 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Worried about Italian menus

In every big touristic cities you will find lots of restaurant with an English menu and waiters will speak English, often also French and Spanish. You will have problems only in non touristic towns.

Generally speaking, avoid restaurants where they approach you in English and don't trust places with too many English advertising.

Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
207 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Worried about Italian menus

It might be a problem in small towns but I doubt you'll have problems in Venice where they get loads of English speaking tourists

Oxford UK
Level Contributor
939 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Worried about Italian menus

You're likely to find that most people in Venice will speak English - and are likely to give you a menu in English once they know you're a tourist. Despite this it's common sense (and courtesy) to learn some basic words before you go on holiday. Please, thank you, hello, goodbye and (as a must) any foods you cannot eat or are allergic to. I learned 'I am allergic to nuts' before I learned anything else!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
38,687 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Worried about Italian menus

I've had quite a few non-English speaking servers in the heart of Rome - it was nicely surprising.

Even after all my times in Rome, I wound up ordering something last Dec in a restaurant in Trastevere, something completely different than I thought I had; thankfully, I liked it - may even have it again.