We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wheelchair Travel

Herts
Level Contributor
95 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Wheelchair Travel

Originally I was looking to book the Santa Chiara for a two night post-cruise stay. However, the hotel has not received good reviews. I am now looking at Mestre area. Can anyone tell me whether the train stations/trains are wheelchair friendly from Mestre to Venice?

If not, can anyone advise how much a taxi is from Mestre to Venice.

My friend will be in a wheelchair and, therefore, we do not wish to stay anywhere that involves crossing bridges. Any hotel recommendations?

Thank you

Venice
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
9,107 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Wheelchair Travel

A taxi will be about €25 -€30 depending on the location ( this is from roughtly teh station area.

The station of Mestre is not W/C friendly unless you have a trai departing from the 1st platform or there are steps involved. Many of the trains do have a big step up . There are the odd local train that is easier to step on to. Venice station has a ramp to one side therefore making it easier to go in and out of.

WHen in Venice I guess you will be doing all vaporetto to get round the city?

Herts
Level Contributor
95 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Wheelchair Travel

We plan to use the vaporetto to travel around Venice. I've heard they are accessible. Is there a taxi rank at St. Lucia station in case we decide to catch a taxi back?

3. Re: Wheelchair Travel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 February 2015, 20:22
Ireland
Level Contributor
1,882 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Wheelchair Travel

Have a read through some of these recent-ish threads, there is lots of information there which should be helpful;

Thread regarding wheelchair accessible hotels;

tripadvisor.co.uk/…39126975

You can phone the tourist office and they will send this brochure pack out to you. I have this, it's very handy for bridge free routes to have a look around;

…venezia.it/flex/…1381

Here is a thread regarding transport from/to the airport.

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g187870-i57-k599…

I hope you both have a wonderful trip!

Chorley, United...
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
18,612 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Wheelchair Travel

I use an electric wheel chair in my old age to get around my local shops but I always leave it behind when I travel to Venice and then progress slowly with my stick from one cafe/bar to the next, resting frequently. The many canal bridges in Venice are a major problem - a few have chair lifts if you have first acquired a key to operate them - but still the majority do not and with all the steps to negotiate they are a no-no for a wheel chair.

Fortunately a wheelchair is very easy to get on and off the water buses as the floating deck of the landing stage and the deck of the water bus are much the same height and I find the crew are very helpful and considerate. There are reserved seats on the front row of the cabin for disabled passengers - and pregnant women - but a wheel chair will park easily on the deck in front of the cabin. So it is possible to avoid at least some of the very many bridges.

Venice
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
9,107 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Wheelchair Travel

In reply to your question - no taxis go from Piazzale Roma which is one stop after the station.

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
32,183 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Wheelchair Travel

To punctuate the preceding answer: "no - taxis go from Piazzale Roma" (as do buses)! There is no taxi rank at Santa Lucia station, because this is not connected to the mainland by road!

8. Re: Wheelchair Travel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 September 2014, 05:19