We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

No. 9 or No. 12 to Torcello?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
2,391 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
No. 9 or No. 12 to Torcello?

Does anyone here know the status of the No. 9 waterbus from Burano to Torcello? Was browsing this site:

europeforvisitors.com/venice/articles/venice…

It says (quote):

"In August, 2013, ACTV eliminated the old No. 9 boat line between Burano and Torcello. Now, you can reach Torcello directly from Venice on the No. 12 water bus (which also serves Murano, Burano, and other major points in the northern Lagoon)."

However, according to what I believe to be the most recent ACTV route map, the No. 9 is still in service, and still the only way to get from Burano to Torcello. Am I misreading the map? Or has the map not been updated?

actv.it/en/…waterbusservicetimetable

Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
Venice, Italy
Destination Expert
for Venice, City of Venice
Level Contributor
7,965 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: No. 9 or No. 12 to Torcello?

The most recent map is actv.it/sites/… which is linked from the Italian page actv.it/muoversiavenezia/orarioserviziodinav… while the English page has an outdated map linked from it.

The n°9 has been substituted by the n°12 now.

The timetable actv.it/pdf/…203.11.2013web.pdf also includes the updated n°12 Torcello stop, but the map is still the old one including the now non-existent n°9 line.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
2,391 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: No. 9 or No. 12 to Torcello?

Glad I asked! Thanks for your help, IhV.

Venice, Italy
Destination Expert
for Venice, City of Venice
Level Contributor
7,965 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: No. 9 or No. 12 to Torcello?

No problem. Unfortunately, in Italy, even the institutional websites need to be taken with a grain of salt, as, unfortunately, they are not updated as they should be, and old, unreliable or incorrect information, remains as though it were (or should be) the most up-to-date information. The Italian web-mentality just isn't on the same wavelength as much of the rest of the world (except for some social media).

Ironically, the ACTV Facebook page is probably more reliable for the validity of the information than the English section of actv.it.

Mentioned in this post
Italy
Italy
Europe
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
2,391 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: No. 9 or No. 12 to Torcello?

Here is where my New Orleans upbringing stands me in good stead. When it comes to efficiency, NOLA is -- to put it mildly -- pretty loosey-goosey. Italian laissez-faire feels like home.

; )

Thanks again for your help.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
106 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: No. 9 or No. 12 to Torcello?

Hello Guys,

I am in Venice now and planning a half-day trip to Burano and Torcello. I am staying near the train station. Can you please suggest me which Vaporetto line to take and from where? Also what's the earliest service in the morning?

Thanks,

Priya

Mentioned in this post
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
Vaporetto
Vaporetto
4,918 Reviews
Venice, Italy
UK
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
48,724 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: No. 9 or No. 12 to Torcello?

Take the 3 or 4.2 to Murano from there the 12 to Burano,

Venice, Italy
Level Contributor
1,600 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: No. 9 or No. 12 to Torcello?

There are neither first nor last rides to and from Burano since boats run every 30 minutes the whole day and every 60 minutes all over the night.

As for Torcello, ACTV is going to reintroduce line 9 for the winter schedule. Line 12 will not call at Torcello anymore, to reach it a change in Burano will be required.

8. Re: No. 9 or No. 12 to Torcello?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 November 2014, 06:19