We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Overcharged for water taxi

Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
1,081 posts
59 reviews
Save Topic
Overcharged for water taxi

I heard a story about someone going over her allowed time on water taxi when going to the other islands,didn't hear full story but was something like, charged $200 for overstaying on murano or 1 of islands.anyone know how this is possible?

Also,I will be arriving at s.lucia and goin to st marks area.should be straightforward getting a ticket for water taxi to there?machine or kiosk?how much? Don't want to have to worry about paying a$200 fee if I get wrong 1 or something

Special Offer
Skip the Line: Venice in One Day...
3,546 Reviews
from US$75.00*
Dolomite Mountains and Cortina 1-Day...
774 Reviews
from US$193.90*
Venice Walking Tour and Gondola Ride
2,575 Reviews
from US$56.30*
Special Offer
Venice Skip-the-Line: Doges Palace...
699 Reviews
from US$142.60*
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
43,077 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Overcharged for water taxi

Why are you taking a water taxi? The vaporetto is right out front from the train station and easily to get off and on with luggage and goes straight to San Marco - cost is $7 per ride (don't know how long you will be there but you may consider getting one of the passes for it as well)

Venice, Italy
Destination Expert
for Venice, City of Venice
Level Contributor
7,893 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Overcharged for water taxi

First off, are we talking about a private water-taxi service (sort of like a taxi-cab or limousine if it were to have wheels) or what in Venice is known as the vaporetto (public water bus, the term usually used in English, since "taxi" refers to the private transportation vessels in Venice).

The private water taxis are time based. I have no idea what "heard a story" this involves, but it sounds like the signora in question tried to use a single ride vaporetto ticket, which normally lasts 60 minutes and is not supposed to be used for a return trip to go to Murano and back, and didn't make it within the time limit of the ticket.

As in most of Italy, public transportation often works on the "honor system", which is the case in Venice for the most part; if you have a ticket, you are fine, if you do not, no one checks when you get on, so often tourists try to "get away with it" and not get a new ticket, counting on the ticket not being checked. In most Regions of Italy, the fines are determined at a regional level; if a traveller is caught in a "spot-check" without a valid (completely without, expired, out of the fare zone, inappropriate fare, etc.) ticket, the fines are generally high. If they are paid on the spot, or within a short period of time after the infraction, they are generally reduced by a lot or a little. Otherwise they are "cavoli amari" (literally, bitter broccoli, translated "tough luck").

Just outside the Venezia Santa Lucia Station there are staffed ticket offices as well as automated machines. The best solution is often a time based pass which covers the stay, as it becomes easy, when it is already "included", just hop on and off the vaporetto to get around the city,

Edited: 18 September 2013, 21:35
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,250 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Overcharged for water taxi

A point to note - tickets DO get checked. We went to Burano, and on two vaporetto rides, our tickets were checked three times - the vap crew changed over at Murano, and so both "old" and "new" crew checked our tickets.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
43,077 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Overcharged for water taxi

When I was there last year, I saw a number of people having their tickets checked - a few were found to not have one at all. Always amazes me that people think they can ride transportation for free but I have seen that in numerous Italian cities -

I imagine there is enough of a percentage of freeloaders who think they can get away with this sort of thing because they are tourists, that they are checking - I noticed more checking of tickets on the buses and trams in Rome the past few years - that the authorities are tired of people taking advantage.

I've seen some majestic meltdowns by people who thought they could ride for free, for some mysterious reason, after being fined for having no ticket or an expired ticket.

Would they do that at home? Doubtful

West Chester...
Level Contributor
1,013 posts
156 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Overcharged for water taxi

We avoided the whole problem about getting Vapor tickets and validating them for each use by buying a multi/day pass (in our case since we needed it for 3 1/2 days it was cheapest to get a week ticket).

(Could the person in the story have taken one of the "free" trips to the island and then got charged for it when she didn't buy anything?)

6. Re: Overcharged for water taxi

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 September 2014, 05:18