We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Venice with a Toddler - Recommendations

london
Level Contributor
3 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Venice with a Toddler - Recommendations

Hi, we will be travelling to Venice for the 4th time, but this time it is with a 16 month old toddler and have a few questions and would love your recommendations to help us. Note we will be there for 1 week (taking our time so we are not rushed with Biennale), and will be staying in Giudecca where it should hopefully be a bit more relaxed.

Are there any recommendations for restaurants which would be good to take a toddler to, particularly those where we would be able to be done with our meal by 7PM (bedtime!).

Are there any good playgrounds (on any of the islands), or places for a toddler to safely run around and play?

As we will be staying in Giudecca, are there any good recommendations for grocery stores? Or some place for us to buy food (particularly fresh fruit) to take back to the apartment where we will be staying (and will have a kitchen). Pasta shops?

How are the baby changing facilities generally? Any places better than others? if we are stuck, is there an issue if we need to change a nappy outside on a bench, or is that frowned upon?

Are there any child/toddler friendly museums or galleries you would recommend? (we heard the Guggenheim is quite good for kids).

We have read a few places that it is recommended to get a Venice Card. Do you recommend this for a 7 day trip?

Anything else you can recommend?

Thank you for your recommendations!

jeremy

Special Offer
Dolomite Mountains Small-Group Day...
772 reviews
from US$174.00*
US$194.10
Venice Walking Tour and Gondola Ride
2,566 reviews
from US$56.30*
Special Offer
Skip the Line: Venice in One Day...
3,543 reviews
from US$75.10*
US$91.40
St. Mark's Basilica and Doge's Palace...
294 reviews
from US$81.40*
Venice, Italy
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
660 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Venice with a Toddler - Recommendations

I have minimal (actually no) experience with small children, but I can advise on shopping and one park.

First for the Biennale. You will find a pleasant park with a small play-area in the Giardini Biennale, right next to the ticket-office for the Biennale itself.

Unsure what you mean by pasta shops, as ready-made pasta to take away isn't usually sold in Venice. However, there are several small, but very good, greengrocers on Giudecca, as well as Coop and Prix supermarkets

As I have never required baby-changing facilities I can't be specific, but my wife didn't notice any in the ladies at Giardini. If you buy the Venice Card with toilet pass there may be some at Accademia and San Marco. Bars and restaurants tend to have small toilet areas, without dedicated child-friendly facilities.

Edited: 22 September 2013, 21:01
Newport, Australia
Level Contributor
343 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Venice with a Toddler - Recommendations

Staying on Giudecca you will definitely want/need a travel card, otherwise every time you get on a vaporetto to go anywhere it's 7euro!

I also can't recall ever seeing change facilities in any of the public toilets - although the one at Rialto is larger than most so it may have them.

Antwerp, Belgium
Level Contributor
201 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Venice with a Toddler - Recommendations

If you continue walking along the water from Giardini to Sant Elena, you will find a large playground with lots of (Venetian) children to play with. You can also take the vaporetto which stops right in front (it's one stop further than Bienale).

Venice
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
9,444 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Venice with a Toddler - Recommendations

Ther is a Coop on the Giudecca and on the Zattere a large Billa Supermarket so you should be able to get everything you need.

There are lots of grocer shops in Venice selling fresh fruit so you should also have no problem there.

If visiting Murano there are 2 parks there with lots of running space.

The park at St Alvise is really a green area only and the one at teh guglie has a few bits of equipment but I wouldn't run on the 'open' area due to dogs being allowed in there and owners not being the most responsible. Many local children play in the open squares and there will be a central point on the Giudecca as well - I just don't know where !!!

NOt many places have changing facilities simply due to lack of space . You might fond the odd one here and there. It is not frowned upon and I like other mums use (d) the stroller as a change point and made sure I had nappy sacks. If the area where I was was busy then I would just nip into a side street .

There are no specific 'friendly museums ' unless possibly the Natural History but even then for a 16 month old I don't think they ahev anything aimed at that age.

Newport, Australia
Level Contributor
343 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Venice with a Toddler - Recommendations

I just remembered a website I found some time ago that lists all of the publicly accessible toilets in venice, and also their facilities: excuseme-whereis.com/Venice_Public_Toilets.h…

Just scroll past the map on each page to see directions and list of facilities

london
Level Contributor
3 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Venice with a Toddler - Recommendations

thank you for the responses! it is all very appreciated

St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
21,253 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Venice with a Toddler - Recommendations

"How are the baby changing facilities generally? Any places better than others? if we are stuck, is there an issue if we need to change a nappy outside on a bench, or is that frowned upon?"

Like most of italy, there are not baby changng facilities available in most restrooms. Public restrooms are in short supply (most of the ones available with the toilet card are in places not convenient when seeing the sights) and I have often bought a water at a bar or cafe in order to become a customer and get the right to use the restroom. In Venice like in Rome, benches are in short supply also. Sitting on the ground I can tell you from personal experience is frowned on based on the stares I get when I do it.

london
Level Contributor
3 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Venice with a Toddler - Recommendations

Ciao Everyone! We are in Venice and having a wonderful time, again (it is our 4th). Giudecca is great and we are so happy to be staying in a flat here. Thank you all so much for your recommendations! The Co-op here is great, along with a few other shops we found nearby. And we found a fantastic playground for our toddler (I think even better than the one in Giardini).

Now I come to you for one last request. any place you suggest we go for dinner? Something low key and not too overpriced? We already had a great dinner at Zucca (returned there after our last meal there 6 years ago), and are booked to go back to La Bitta (another favorite of ours). But where do YOU think we should go?

Thank you again!

UK
Level Contributor
629 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Venice with a Toddler - Recommendations

There are or were supposed to be changing facilities in at least some of e public toilets but in the only one we tried (Giardini) they had been converted into an office for the attendant!

There is a handy laundry room next to the toilets in Florian. Otherwise we just used the stroller as Rosa suggests or toilets in bars where appropriate.

Fintry, United...
Level Contributor
499 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Venice with a Toddler - Recommendations

http://panevinoesandaniele.net

Reviews here

tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g187870-…

In campo san raffaele, big campo for toddler to run around in, and excellent food, and a short walk from the vap stop s. Basilio from palanca