We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Will a solution ever be found?

Which Venice hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Australia
Level Contributor
1,449 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Will a solution ever be found?

Please, if you love Venice, read this and share it with others. The last 2 sentences are so sadly true.

italymagazine.com/featured-story/why-venice-…

UK
Level Contributor
1,592 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Will a solution ever be found?

"There’s even a conflict of interest over the pigeons. Known to Venetians as flying rats, they are vermin and need to be controlled (there are regular early morning culls) but the purveyors of pigeon food pay high prices for their licences, and the city doesn’t want to be deprived of the revenue." Ms Robinson should check her facts - it has been illegal to feed the pigeons in Piazza San Marco since April 2008. But that is only one very small part of the article, admittedly.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
39,121 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Will a solution ever be found?

It may be illegal but I saw quite a few people feeding them last year in San Marco.

Unless Venice can come up with a way to replace what the cruise ships pay - which is unlikely - these horrible things will continue to do their damage or unless there is a terrible accident. A serious accident with one of these things would do serious harm and it is scary to contemplate.

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
31,653 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Will a solution ever be found?

Poor Venice. Of course if people would only boycott the cruise ships that go there...

Michigan
Level Contributor
1,246 posts
184 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Will a solution ever be found?

Wow - those ships are HUGE! They should definitely not be able to dock so close to Venice! I never liked cruises and here is another reason why! I will share with anyone that will listen!

NY
Level Contributor
3,574 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Will a solution ever be found?

The ships will only get bigger and bigger

Here is one of the new behemoths (at least three like this coming)

www.cruisecritic.com/reviews/review.cfm…

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane
Level Contributor
10,278 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Will a solution ever be found?

This is not just a boat problem ... the growth in tourism around the world now means that most of the "must see" places of the world are incredibly crowded. Versaille is wall to wall people just like St Marks square, the great museums and art galleries are jam packed with crowds. Ships get bigger and aircraft get bigger and more numerous, the environmental damage done by aircraft is just as bad as a cruise ship.

As a tourist I am obviously part of this problem but I guess at least we spend time and money in the locality... not just spend the day and buy a water. I don't know what can be done but will it get worse... probably.

Los Angeles...
Destination Expert
for Venice, Provence-Alpes-Cote d'Azur
Level Contributor
7,858 posts
446 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Will a solution ever be found?

<<I don't know what can be done but will it get worse... >>

Zero population growth, i.e., two children max per couple.

Venice
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
9,057 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Will a solution ever be found?

There are couple of other minor incorrect bits but the overall concept is there. I tnink yes they need to be reduced in number and or an alternative port used . They should be banned from the Giudecca canal.

I keep writing / posting its Money Money Money so why should somebody sacrifice their income now for the future .... Not a concept that seems to be used very much round here.

Well only about another month or so left now and the ships will depart for the Atlantic crossing and go and ruin the views of other residents and holiday makers....

Australia
Destination Expert
for Pompeii, Herculaneum, Naples
Level Contributor
8,421 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Will a solution ever be found?

Pompeii is having the same issues. It's being 'loved to death'. The damage done by tourists is a double-edged sword. Despite massive funding from the EU and ongoing support from the Italian government, the site still relies heavily on gate takings from the two million plus visitors that arrive every year. All those millions of feet are wearing down the 2800 year old city and it's in a perilous state. Graffiti on the ancient frescoes, rubbish, cigarette butts, people sitting on ancient walls.... I even saw people walking their pet dog through the site last time I was there. I was incredulous as the Superintendent and site managers are desperately trying to 're-home' the scavi dogs (strays) because of the damage they do and yet there was a pet dog allowed inside. Can you imagine allowing a pet dog inside the Entombed Warriors of Xian? I don't see Pompeii as being any different.

Will a solution ever be found? Timed entries like the Last Supper maybe, boardwalks over the roads, greater education for visitors as to what to do when on the site (i.e. don't pick ancient mosaic tiles off the floors - people actually do this thinking one little tile won't matter).

Still, I despair at Pompeii's future - and Venice's as well for that matter.

Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Will a solution ever be found?

Sad but true, who would have thought you would have to book months in advane to see the Last supper painting in Milano, I can remember 20 years ago popping in to see it as I was passing by and I was the only one there and the first time I visited the Vatican there wereno queues, nothing to do with Venice but just shows you how the amount of tourists have grown over the years.