We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Change of hours at St Marks!

Which Venice hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Michigan
Level Contributor
1,216 posts
150 reviews
Save Topic
Change of hours at St Marks!

I received the below email today. It is below the line in this post. I had booked a skip the line entrance to Saint Mark's Cathedral for 1:00 on October 3rd. I also booked the tour of orologio tower at 3:00 the same day. Now they are telling me that they will honor my reservation for only between 2:00 and 5:00.

Not fair to us at all since we had already booked the other tour and we allowed 2 hours for St Marks and now we have 1 (less if you count the time it will take us to check into our other tour).

Does anyone know why they are closing during our paid for and pre-booked time slot? I emailed to ask if they would honor our reservations for the next morning, but it really throws a wrench in our plans as I would have scheduled the orologio tour earlier had I known!

Dear customer,

we have just been informed by 'Procuratoria di San Marco' that on Thursday 3rd October 2013 the usual opening times of St. Mark's Basilica will have to be changed due to extraordinary religious services celebrated in the church. As a result, St. Mark's Basilica will be open to visitors only from 2pm to 5pm.

All vouchers referring to reservations already made for that day will still be valid but will have to be used only during the actual opening times of the Basilica.

We apologize for any trouble caused - also on behalf of Procuratoria - and remain at your disposal for anything you might require.

Kind regards,

The Insidecom Team

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
38,737 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Change of hours at St Marks!

Their email's first paragraph explains why the change in hours for that date. It is still a basilica - with all that entails.

Hopefully, they will be able to allow you admission as you requested for the next day. If not, maybe you can request a refund.

Michigan
Level Contributor
1,216 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Change of hours at St Marks!

"extraordinary religious services " is what they said the reason was. Is it a holiday or something?

NY
Level Contributor
3,570 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Change of hours at St Marks!

I've been thrown completely out of worse places due to religious services being started.

A suggestion is to go with the flow if your schedule permits - that skip the line booking probably only cost only 1.5 Euros, was it one of those? If so, I would just book another time on a different day. again if your schedule permits..

Edited: 25 September 2013, 02:14
shp
Wokingham, England
Level Contributor
345 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Change of hours at St Marks!

Hi,

I am pretty sure they will allow you in the next morning. We were in Venice earlier this month and had a timed "skip the line" ticket. As we were approaching St Mark's I realised that we were a day late (well, we were on holiday)! I explained to the man on the gate and he just shrugged and said "no problem" and waved us through. I am sure if you explain that the Basilica was closed during the time shown on your ticket (which s/he will know) then you will be waved through too....

Michigan
Level Contributor
1,216 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Change of hours at St Marks!

Yes, I think I will try just using the ticket when we want, although I would have booked the other tour earlier had I known. You would think they would know their hours a couple months in advance.

Italy
Level Contributor
6,041 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Change of hours at St Marks!

No way to know in advance what might happen in a church! Funerals are unpredictable, for example.

Edited: 25 September 2013, 09:29
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
38,737 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Change of hours at St Marks!

It's a church - unexpected things occur. It is not a museum.

Michigan
Level Contributor
1,216 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Change of hours at St Marks!

No need to be snippy! I was just asking if anyone knew what was going on.

Michigan
Level Contributor
1,216 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Change of hours at St Marks!

Tabata - thank you - your reply makes sense. I did not think of a funeral or something similar.... Didn't know they would still hold funerals, weddings, etc. in such a tourist-visited and historic church.

I never got an email back from them and since it was only 6 euros, I went ahead and re-booked for the morning in addition to the 3rd. Now we can split up our visit if we so desire, so we can keep the next day free-er for murano/burano.

Italy
Level Contributor
6,041 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Change of hours at St Marks!

Well I googled to look for what's happening and it seems that there's an event in St Marks square on October 3rd. And yes, San Marco is a church.