We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Musical Concert or Choral evening in a church or Palazzo

Sydney
Level Contributor
215 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Musical Concert or Choral evening in a church or Palazzo

We are in Venice from Nov 10th for 1 week and would like to experience a musical concert or choral event in either a church or Palazzo.

How do I find out what is on and where?

Also can anyone recommend any musical evenings they have experienced?

Thank you in advance

Special Offer
Dolomite Mountains Small-Group Day...
772 reviews
from US$173.90*
US$193.90
Venice Walking Tour and Gondola Ride
2,567 reviews
from US$56.30*
Special Offer
Skip the Line: Venice in One Day...
3,543 reviews
from US$75.10*
US$91.30
St. Mark's Basilica and Doge's Palace...
295 reviews
from US$81.30*
Ballarat, Australia
Level Contributor
89 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Musical Concert or Choral evening in a church or Palazzo

We went to a Vivaldi 'Four Seasons' concert at San Vidal church, it was a lovely evening. Lots of info www.innvenice.com/en.Music.htm

UK
Level Contributor
2,912 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Musical Concert or Choral evening in a church or Palazzo

What about opera in a palazzo?

http://www.musicapalazzo.com/program/

Tallahassee, Florida
Level Contributor
2,017 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Musical Concert or Choral evening in a church or Palazzo

I've been to both the Vivaldi concert at San Vidal and to Musica Palazzo to see La Traviata and highly recommend both. This is the group that plays at San Vidal and the website:

www.interpretiveneziani.com/en/

I use this website to see the available concerts in Venice:

www.classictic.com/en/search/…

Chorley, United...
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
18,833 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Musical Concert or Choral evening in a church or Palazzo

There are generally lots of posters for forthcoming musical events on display. In addition many Hotels have a selection of brochures in the rooms or at Reception. Finally there are often people. sometimes in costume, handing out leaflets.about concerts in popular tourist palces such as the frontage of the Accademia or around Piazzza San Marcxo.

Finally there is a free brochure, listing all happenings in the month, which is available in Hotels etc.

DHG
Boston
Level Contributor
468 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Musical Concert or Choral evening in a church or Palazzo

I recently attended:

I Virtuosi Italiani Concerto at Vivaldi's Chiesa Santa Maria della Pieta Limited box office access; instead call tel.:39 041 522 1120 for reservations and pick-up tickets at the venue one half hour before the performance - EXCELLENT! 25 euros

Interpreti Veneziani Violins in Venice at the Chiesa dei San Vidal (I booked through CLASSICTIC.com; the website will also give you a listing of musical events held for the duration of your visit), but tickets can be easily purchased earlier in the day at the church. EXCELLENT!

Opera: Absolutely nothing tops a performance at La Fenice. Their production of La Traviata is stunning and fresh!! You can find reasonably priced seats by reserving ahead; however expect to pay dearly for the well-worth-it box seats. Call the Hellovenezia (La Fenice Box Office) at 39 041 2424. They take credit cards over the phone. A Must-Do Venice Event!

For more "casual" opera, the Palazzo Barbarigo-Minottoi on Fondamente Duodoi O Barbarigo, offers lively productions in which the audience goes from room to room for different acts. It's a very intimate venue; you feel as though you're on stage and the music is being sung only to you! EXCELLENT!

Robert's right; you'll find brochures, posters, and sales people everywhere. However, I've always found it best to check out a website like CLASSICTIC.com; not necessarily to buy tickets, but to get an overview of what will be available when you visit and how you might want to fit the events into your itinerary.

The caliber of performances can vary. I can recommend the venues listed above without hesitation. Unfortunately I've also attended some performances over the years that were lacking. For example, there are Quattro Stagione concerts every where; however I attended a rather amateur production at the San Basso in Piazza San Marco several years ago. I know that this can happen, so a little advance research and some reservations will spare you disappointment. Music is one of the many joys of visiting Venice! Enjoy!

Edited: 04 October 2013, 20:41
Sydney
Level Contributor
215 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Musical Concert or Choral evening in a church or Palazzo

Thank you everyone for your brilliant recommendations I have lots of research to do!!

Again I always appreciate this forum's expertise and willingness to pass on invaluable tips and advice

Mille Grazie

Florida
Level Contributor
200 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Musical Concert or Choral evening in a church or Palazzo

Thank you so much for posting all of this. My Nov. trip is soon!

UK
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
47,840 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Musical Concert or Choral evening in a church or Palazzo

They were handing out leaflets only last week outside the Accademia

9. Re: Musical Concert or Choral evening in a church or Palazzo

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 October 2014, 05:19