We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Looking for a cozy coffee shop

Which Venice hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Singapore
Level Contributor
99 posts
163 reviews
Save Topic
Looking for a cozy coffee shop

Hi,

I've recently moved to Venice and I'm looking for a cozy coffee shop (Starbucks like but with good coffee and tea) where I could work & read from.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

UK
Level Contributor
1,592 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Looking for a cozy coffee shop

Try this site: http://breakfastinvenice.wordpress.com/

I realise the site is about breakfast, but it gives you an idea of the ambience, and tells you what the author thinks of the coffee.

[From Yvonne's blogroll.]

Venice
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
9,049 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Looking for a cozy coffee shop

Don't think they exist to be honest...comfy sofas, wifi and a coffee . Possibly a hotel bar lounge but not your average bar .

Surrey
Level Contributor
2,379 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Looking for a cozy coffee shop

Though i haven't been there for some time, perhaps Teamo near the Fortuny might match your criteria? I don't know about the wifi and as the place is tiny they might not be happy with you occupying a seat for a long time, though possibly during the less busy hours it would be fine. It's a big step-up from Starbucks, but then that's not difficult.

Chorley, United...
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
18,505 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Looking for a cozy coffee shop

I have not come across anywhere in Venice which i would describe as "cozy" where I could sit to work and read for long periods. Busy yes, hectic even. I do sit and linger - with a supply of drinks - at Ai do Draghi in Campo Santa Margherita and indeed, if I can find a table amongst the swarms of art students, at Da Gino in calle Nuova Sant'Agnese near the Acccademia. But work, definitely not.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
1,051 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Looking for a cozy coffee shop

Since I live in the home of Starbucks (Seattle, WA) I find coffee shops....known as bars...in Venice to be somewhere that you grab your coffee, drink it and leave. Some of us tourists linger and talk but it is not the usual thing. And since it is so busy you would probably not be welcome to sit for hours and work. It is a totally different vibe. If you find one, let us know.

PS...even here int Starbucks land and the like they really don't appreciate it if you take up a table and work for hours and only buy one cup of coffee or tea. Maybe it's okay at Starbucks but my friend who owned a private coffee place was not happy with the people who sat for hours and didn't spend money. She never told them to leave but she was not happy. After all....it was how she made a living.

UK
Level Contributor
1,592 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Looking for a cozy coffee shop

You mentioned coffee AND tea. I haven't found anywhere outside the UK where they know how to make a decent cup of tea. But if you are used to tea made with a tea-bag in a cup with water that is nowhere near boiling you may find tea in Venice to your liking.

You could try this (from aloverofvenice.com):

Before or after visiting the church we must stop for a cup of coffee at Bar Ai Miracoli on Campo Santa Maria Nova. This is one of my favorite cafes in Venice. In summertime, sitting outside you will enjoy the company of the locals gathered under the protective shade of the trees. In wintertime, you can curl up in one of the cozy booths by the back windows with an unsurpassed view of the canal and the church. The owner is very friendly and although the atmosphere is always vibrant, you can stay there undisturbed for hours just reading or writing.

Venice, Italy
Destination Expert
for Venice, City of Venice
Level Contributor
7,555 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Looking for a cozy coffee shop

There are actually a couple of dedicated tea houses in Venice, though I don't know how they are, Peter's Tea just off Santi Apostoli heading towards the Fondamente Nove, and another (can't recall the name) on Calle Lunga San Barnaba that I believe AmanteDiVenezia has cited in the past. The culture of coffee in Italy, including Venice, is such that people don't really "hang out" (be it for work or relax) too much at bars. One place I have seen people doing it is MQ10 on Fondamenta di Cannaregio, about halfway between Guglie and Tre Archi on the east side (under the Ca' Dogaressa hotel).

There is also someplace like the coffee shop of Ca' Rezzonico (you do not need to pay to enter the museum to enter/use the coffee shop) where you could probably hang out without problems, and though it is not "cozy", what surroundings!

Edited: 06 October 2013, 17:47
Los Angeles...
Destination Expert
for Venice, Provence-Alpes-Cote d'Azur
Level Contributor
7,857 posts
446 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Looking for a cozy coffee shop

Ciak II in San Polo is pretty nice and cozy, serves great coffee and morning pastry, and then a variety of wonderful tramezzini at lunchtime. I think there is a WiFi connection. There is also an outdoor sitting area, assuming the weather is pleasant enough.

Singapore
Level Contributor
99 posts
163 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Looking for a cozy coffee shop

I was able to find this place: www.bedandbreakfast-fujiyama.it/te.html and is more or less what I was looking for. But thanks anyways for all the tips!

10. Re: Looking for a cozy coffee shop

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 October 2014, 06:22