We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Arriving late in Venice by train - Is it safe?

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
67 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Arriving late in Venice by train - Is it safe?

Hello,

I am looking at a train that arrives at 10.30pm at Santa Lucia train station in Venice. Is the walk to hotel safe at that time through the narrow alleyways of Venice?

Thank you

Roger

UK
Level Contributor
1,605 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Arriving late in Venice by train - Is it safe?

Everyone who answers this sort of question will tell you that Venice is probably the safest city in Italy, in Europe, probably in the world. I happen to have got here first. I would agree with everyone else. Venice is almost deserted after 10 p.m. so you should be able to avoid any shady-looking characters, in the unlikely event of seeing one.

Chorley, United...
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
18,797 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Arriving late in Venice by train - Is it safe?

Venice is indeed just about as safe as anywhere in the world. My wife and I, in our 80s, have no qualms walking anywhere in Venice at any time of the day or night.

You do not say where you are staying but if your Hotel is any distance from Santa Lucia station then there is a water bus landing stage (Ferrovia) immediately outside the station non the banks of the Grand Canal. A full daytime timetable runs until around midnight so you can take a water bus to the landing stage nearest to your Hotel if you wish to shorten the walk.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
67 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Arriving late in Venice by train - Is it safe?

Thank you, this is encouraging because otherwise I would have spent an extra night in Florence and taken the morning train to Venice.

I haven't booked the hotel yet but looking at a few (Ca' Lucrezia, Principe, Boscolo Bellini) just east of S.Lucia station so that I don't have to wait for water bus.

Venice
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
9,420 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Arriving late in Venice by train - Is it safe?

Another small one to consider Locanda Orsaria ,

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
67 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Arriving late in Venice by train - Is it safe?

I like Locanda Orsaria reviews but it is very expensive for my dates. I thought tourist season will start to slow down in late October but apparently not.

Edited: 06 October 2013, 19:46
Chorley, United...
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
18,797 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Arriving late in Venice by train - Is it safe?

Water buses are very frequent, at least every 10 minutes or so so do not let that hinder your choice of Hotel. There is little advantage in using a Hotel close to Santa Lucia station because it is not a particularly interesting part of Venice. Book early as good Hotels get full very quickly. I usually book about 5/6 months ahead to be certain of getting the room I want in the Hotel I want.

Toronto
Level Contributor
43 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Arriving late in Venice by train - Is it safe?

I would also suggest the same "Water buses are very frequent so do not let that hinder your choice of Hotel." Walk from the water bus stop to the hotel might be a better additional criteria in choosing the hotel especially if you are carrying big suit case

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
67 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Arriving late in Venice by train - Is it safe?

I booked Locanda Orsaria which is next to SMN. Hopefully things will go well.

UK
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
47,567 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Arriving late in Venice by train - Is it safe?

The reviews look and it is very convenient for the Station,

10. Re: Arriving late in Venice by train - Is it safe?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 October 2014, 05:16