We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Marco Polo to Ca' dOro

Valley Village, CA
Level Contributor
125 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Marco Polo to Ca' dOro

I'm trying to work out the easiest way (other than private water taxi!) to get from Marco Polo Airport to Hotel Pesaro Palace, which is next door to Ca' dOro. I'm 72, traveling alone, and am trying to avoid schlepping luggage over bridges as much as I can. Here's what I came up with: Alilaguna Orange line to San Stae, then Vaporetto line 1 to Ca' dOro. Any other ideas from you Venice experts? Thanks!

Venice, Italy
Destination Expert
for Venice, City of Venice
Level Contributor
7,751 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Marco Polo to Ca' dOro

Gigis_mum is correct that the ACTV buses run 4 times and hour, every 15 minutes (not every half an hour, as the ATVO schedule runs). Also consider that with the detours and roadwork, the 20-25 minutes can be subject to delays for either bus.

I agree that the Alilaguna to San Stae would be simplest, as the Alilaguna lets you off on exactly the same boarding platform as that which the n°1 picks you up a few minutes later to reach Ca' D'Oro.

Piazzale Roma is a particularly not fun place to travel with luggage with all the construction work going on, and from the bus stops to the n°1 vaporetto stop in Piazzale Roma is about the longest possible walk in Piazzale Roma from the bus stops.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
24,286 posts
298 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Marco Polo to Ca' dOro

Thanks, I_heart_Venice. You've made it very clear.

I had a look at the Piazzale Roma map and see that the Line 1 boards at Pier A. It is indeed the farthest distance from the Aerobus stop.

Chorley, United...
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
18,708 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Marco Polo to Ca' dOro

I always try very hard to avoid Piazzale Roma. It is usually very busy and therefore can be quite an effort to walk from the buses and find the right landing stage for any onward voyage down the Grand Canal.

Venice, Italy
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
7,751 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Marco Polo to Ca' dOro

Robert, it is even worse now that they are simultaneously reconstructing the D/E Santa Chiara boarding docks, and creating the terminal area for the mainland Tram and so the entire center portion of the piazzale is boxed off as well, with temporary, tight and irregular pedestrian walkways, with fencing placed here and there in quite random looking configurations, pedestrian crosswalks leading to fences, etc. To top it off, with the road construction on the bridge and detours there, the bridge has become a very delicate element, and three times in the past week has been subject to very long blocks and delays (yesterday over three hours in the early afternoon at a standstill). Not that water transport doesn't have problems, with fog or rough lagoon during bad weather, or divided/interrupted routes during acqua alta, but Alilaguna is generally very reliable.

Valley Village, CA
Level Contributor
125 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Marco Polo to Ca' dOro

Thanks to everybody for the input. I've decided that my original plan-Alilaguna to San Stae, then Vap. no. 1 to Ca' d'Oro- is the easiest for me. It may take longer, but I don't mind that so much.

Venice, Italy
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
7,751 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Marco Polo to Ca' dOro

With all the construction work going on, on the mainland and at Piazzale Roma, I believe the time difference would be very minor, while the route you are picking much simpler and easier. Remember that to reach the dock area there are carts which use a one euro coin deposit which make the walk even easier than rolling a trolley suitcase.

17. Re: Marco Polo to Ca' dOro

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 November 2014, 05:20