We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Apt near San Marco or Via Garibaldi?

Maryland
Level Contributor
520 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
Apt near San Marco or Via Garibaldi?

Am looking to rent an apartment for next June and have narrowed down my choices to a couple near San Marco and another one on Via Garibaldi, a minute from the Arsenale stop. Am a little confused which location will be better, the former might be easier with luggage but ideally we'd like to be nearer San Marco, especially since my mom will be with us and this way she'd have to walk less to get to the sites. What do you think, look forward to your suggestions. Thanks in advance!

Chorley, United...
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
18,825 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Apt near San Marco or Via Garibaldi?

Via Garibaldi is a vibrant residential area with some good trattoria mostly used by locals, not tourists and probably all the better for that. Hence not overcrowded with tourists However it is not an area with a great deal of interest in the way of architecture or art.

The area immediately around Piazza San Marco is overflowing with hordes of tourists because it has so much of interest for visitors - Doge's Palace, the great basilica of San Marco, the Correr Museum etc.. Because there are so many tourists the local restaurants tend to be more expensive and often tourist rip-off places

So much depends on your personal references.

UK
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
47,801 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Apt near San Marco or Via Garibaldi?

The Arsenale area is nice and a apartment in Via Garibaldi I feel would be better, and only a short walk to the San Marco, Via Garibaldi is quite busy too these days, quite a few tourist go there but no way on the scale of San Marco around the Piazza.

Dordrecht, The...
Level Contributor
480 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Apt near San Marco or Via Garibaldi?

When I dropped by for a walk around the Castello district, things were a bit busy around Arsenale, but as soon as you started walking away, things got a lot less crowded. It is also the greenest district of Venice. If you don't mind walking a bit to get places or simply use the vaporetto, this is an excellent place to stay. One I would recommend over San Marco.

Buffalo, New York
Level Contributor
989 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Apt near San Marco or Via Garibaldi?

My daughter and I just got back from a week in Venice. We had an apartment on Calle de la Vida, steps from the Arsenale stop and the via Garibaldi. It was ideal. It was an easy walk to San Marco and I am old with very bad arthritis. There is no way I would stay in the San Marco area. The crowds were almost overwhelming.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,378 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Apt near San Marco or Via Garibaldi?

We have stayed in an apartment near via Garibaldi and loved it. Very few tourists, great views of Venice, several good trattoria mainly frequented by locals ( one with a Pavarotti impersonator to serenade the locals), a couple of small supermarkets and really all you need for an apartment stay. It is about a 10 minute walk to San Marco, but what a walk!

Having said that our favourite area is Dorsoduro with a great "feel" of Venice and not stiflingly overcrowded like San Marco. The area also has lots of shops, trattoria, apartments etc. and is a wonderful 15 minute walk from San Marco. Definitely worth checking out.

Edited: 19 October 2013, 01:39
Maryland
Level Contributor
520 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Apt near San Marco or Via Garibaldi?

Thanks all for your input, think I'll leave the choice to mom, but will make sure to mention MalibooNewYork's comments. Thanks again:)

Buffalo, New York
Level Contributor
989 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Apt near San Marco or Via Garibaldi?

I want to second LordByron's opinion. Dorsoduro is wonderful. We spent an entire day there wandering around, sightseeing, shopping, drinking coffee, and eating. It is delightful and not to be missed in my opinion.

We ate lunch at Avogoria and can not recommend it highly enough. Although my guidebook said it was closed on Tuesdays, we walked by and it was open. Oh, happy days!

UK
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
47,801 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Apt near San Marco or Via Garibaldi?

I would agree Dorsoduro is lovely, ,but really most parts of Venice have their charms, ,the Arsenale area,

and round is very unspoiled and not that touristy,

9. Re: Apt near San Marco or Via Garibaldi?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 October 2014, 05:18