We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help with neighborhood for hotel

Which Venice hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Boston...
Level Contributor
357 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Help with neighborhood for hotel

I would love to find a hotel in a neighborhood where it is more locals than tourists. My husband and i are in our fifties, don't mind walking, would love to find a place where we could get expresso in the morning and wine at night with locals. we will be there for 5 nights and have not been to Venice before. we will be coming in Sept '14. our budget is somewhere around $200 a night or less. we would not mind a B&B..perfer something small. Thanks!

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
1,164 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help with neighborhood for hotel

Hi Robin!

Lucky you! You will have a fabulous time! One can find quiet non-touristy neighborhoods throughout Venice in the most surprising moments, but from my visits there I would look into places in Cannaregio and Dorsoduro especially. When do you leave? You should still have time to get good input on this forum.

-Karl

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
1,164 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help with neighborhood for hotel

P.S.,

Read comments here:

tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g187870-d5…

UK
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
46,120 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help with neighborhood for hotel

Parts of Castello away from San Marco , always seem less touristy than most other parts of Venice after that small areas of Canaregio,

Boston...
Level Contributor
357 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help with neighborhood for hotel

thank you! i'll look into these. any others?

Plymouth, United...
Level Contributor
23 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help with neighborhood for hotel

Hi we have just returned from a four night stay in Venice, we stayed in the hotel Ca' Formenta in the Castello area. This hotel is an easy ten minute walk from San Marco Square with the Arsenale boat pontoon about four minutes away. The hotel is on Via Garibaldi which contains quite a lot of restaurants and bars and where a lot of locals seemed to use them

The hotel is what we called small and friendly with a great breakfast bar, found the staff very helpful with all the usual tourist information, hope you enjoy your stay in Venice have a great time :-)

Edited: 23 October 2013, 20:30
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
382 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help with neighborhood for hotel

Hi, we recently stayed in Venice and can highly recommend the Santa Croce area which is not packed with tourists , and has a lovely atmosphere. We stayed at the Hotel Al Duca di Venezia and it was simply gorgeous. It is also very accessible from Piazzale Roma or Santa Lucia station via a few stops along the grand canal. It is an area well worth considering as it fits your description well.

Chorley, United...
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
18,499 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help with neighborhood for hotel

"which is more locals than tourists". Unfortunately there are not that many locals living in Venice - a lot live in Mestre and commute to work in Venice- and there are a great many tourists. September is still a busy time for tourists though the very worst areas where they crowd together in dense throngs are aroun the Rialto bridge and within a few hundred yards of Piazza San Marco

All Venice is very safe and secure so you can choose an area to stay in with confidence, just avoid too close to the Rialto and San Marco.

8. Re: Help with neighborhood for hotel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 October 2014, 04:18