We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Petition Signature Collectors

Which Venice hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Seattle
Destination Expert
for Grand Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
8,650 posts
67 reviews
Save Topic
Petition Signature Collectors

Are out in full force today, in C. San San Stefano and C. San Bartolomeo at least. " Sign petition against drugs!" What are they really after? Email addresses? Or do they ask for a donation if one agrees to "sign against drugs"?

Italy
Level Contributor
6,041 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Petition Signature Collectors

They ask for money, don't sign anything.

UK
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
45,843 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Petition Signature Collectors

Don't let them collar you, walk on,

3. Re: Petition Signature Collectors

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 27 October 2013, 14:01
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
82,287 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Petition Signature Collectors

I think Sophie knows more about Venice tourism than many of the people who live in Venice.

UK
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
45,843 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Petition Signature Collectors

Thank you Nick, that's a nice comment,

Venice
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
8,963 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Petition Signature Collectors

As said it is a way to get money .. They start off with a soft approach and then get heavy ... Carry a local paper in your hand and don't talk a foreign language when near them ...that might put them off. Once outside the hospital with a new born I was cornered .I refused to sign and got abuse ...

Appia you have posted some helpful advice on this forum please keep coming back!!!!! Plus it would be a very boring forum if only the residents could post!!

Edited: 26 October 2013, 11:48
Seattle
Destination Expert
for Grand Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
8,650 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Petition Signature Collectors

We do indeed ignore them and walk on by without making eye contact or acknowledging them. I was just curious what their scam or trick is for making money.

Latina, Italy
Level Contributor
1,773 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Petition Signature Collectors

I've heard that in some cases while they keep you talking and signing their accomplice is picking your back pockets.

Bunbury, Western...
Level Contributor
226 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Petition Signature Collectors

When I was in Paris near the Eiffel Tower there was about 5 girls doing the same thing......a policeman approached them, gave them a good dressing down, broke their pens in half and got them to tear their 'petition' forms up and put them in the bin.

A pity this approach isn't used elsewhere.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
38,687 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Petition Signature Collectors

What I don't get is why anyone would sign a petition in a place in which they don't live; how meaningless can a signature get if you aren't a voter. Silly. I've seen people sign them and just can't imagine what they are thinking.

Appia: with something as humongous as TA, there are bound to be people who are rude, etc - best to ignore them.