We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Christmas Markets close to Venice?

Tucson, Arizona
1 post
Save Topic
Christmas Markets close to Venice?

My boyfriend and I are heading out Nov 27th - Dec. 2nd and flying into Venice. Last year we stumbled upon an amazing little Christmas Market in Bratislava and it was the highlight of our trip.

Does anyone have any suggestions for cities close enough to Venice for a day/overnight trip that have some fun markets? We're fine with renting a car, so something unique and off the beaten path (but still acceptable for tourists with minimal Italian) would be more up our alley, but we're definitely open to suggestions. Ice skating is a bonus! ;)

Also, any idea how busy some of the bigger markets in Milan/Florence/Verona would be? We liked Vienna, but the markets there were so commercialized and/or crowded that it really took away from some of the magic.

Mentioned in this post
Milan
Milan
Lombardy, Italy
Florence
Florence
Province of Florence, Italy
Verona
Verona
Province of Verona, Italy
Vienna
Vienna
Vienna Region, Austria
SUP in Venice
Historic Walking Areas, Sightseeing Tours, Water Sports, Cultural Tours, Stand-Up Paddleboarding
Vinicio Tassani Photographer
Multi-day Tours, Walking Tours, Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Photography Tours
Turive
Sightseeing Tours
Venice
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
9,522 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Christmas Markets close to Venice?

Up in the Tyrol possible .. Try Mercatini di Natale in Google .. i have only been up to Bolzano but I thi k it was later on.

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,725 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Christmas Markets close to Venice?

I've seen three or four, both in Alto Adige (northern Italy) and in Austria, and in my opinion if you've seen one, you've seen them all. I went on a trip with some friends, and they convinced me to go a second time a few years later, but that time I mainly went to see the museum in Bolzano that houses Ötzi, the neolithic man preserved in the ice.

There are some Christmas markets in most large cities, but they're not very much like the German ones.

Mentioned in this post
Austria
Austria
Europe
3. Re: Christmas Markets close to Venice?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 November 2014, 05:18