We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

virtruvian man at Gallerie dell’Accademia

Madrid, Spain
Level Contributor
51 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
virtruvian man at Gallerie dell’Accademia

Saw the Virtruvian Man today at the da Vinci sketch exhibit .. I was shocked that there was no (visable) added security for it save for an octogenerian museum employee. Moreover, the museum was relatively empty, yet the piece hasn't been shown to the public in years. What's the deal?

UK
Level Contributor
629 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: virtruvian man at Gallerie dell’Accademia

Was it not behind glass? It was the last time in was on display a few years ago.

Edited: 22 November 2013, 21:55
Madrid, Spain
Level Contributor
51 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: virtruvian man at Gallerie dell’Accademia

It was in a glass frame like all the other sketches. I'm of the understanding that it hasn't been displayed for decades:

theartnewspaper.com/articles/…31018

UK
Level Contributor
629 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: virtruvian man at Gallerie dell’Accademia

It was last on display as part of the Leonardo exhibition 4 years ago. The advertising for the current exhibition doesn't really stress it as part of the exhibikition. Had I known I would have visited for Salute.

But no it wasn't exactly mobbed over when I saw it!

Edited: 22 November 2013, 22:26
Anthem, Arizona
Level Contributor
1,094 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: virtruvian man at Gallerie dell’Accademia

We viewed it a few years ago (was it 4 already ?) in a tiny space, most of the crowds just passed it by, My husband, an architect, was mesmerized to see "the real thing", he studied it via textbooks years ago! And, while the Accademia was crowded, this little display was passed by. He still talks about it!

Venice
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
9,143 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: virtruvian man at Gallerie dell’Accademia

The exhibition a few years ago had loads of publicity , I went and I was expecting more ( don't know why!!!) to be honest I have seen no publicity at all around the city.

Surrey
Level Contributor
2,416 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: virtruvian man at Gallerie dell’Accademia

There's generally very little visible security in Venetian museums and galleries. The temporary exhibitions are ignored by most tourists thank goodness. It's wonderful being able to see great works of art without the crowds. This year I attended the Manet exhibition in London - I say attended because it was so crowded (pre booked, timed tickets only) i had trouble actually seeing the paintings - and the Manet exhibition at the Doge's Palace which was so empty there was sometimes only three people in a room of paintings. The Venice exhibition was such a special experience i went back a second time.

Valley Village, CA
Level Contributor
120 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: virtruvian man at Gallerie dell’Accademia

I pre-booked a ticket for the exhibition before I left the US. The day I went, Nov. 6, people just walked up and bought tickets, no lines. Blissfully un-crowded. I must say, it was a thrill to be inches from the Vitruvian Man, without people 6 deep listening to those infernal audioguides!

8. Re: virtruvian man at Gallerie dell’Accademia

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 November 2014, 06:18