We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

SO HARD to choose a hotel! TOO hard!

Helsinki
Level Contributor
16 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
SO HARD to choose a hotel! TOO hard!

So many choices, so many reviews.

We're visiting Venice next Feb and so far we have two hotels to choose: Pesaro Palace or Palazzo Stern. And I can't really make up my mind.

We've stayed in Hotel Rialto and we really like the area. But also Palazzo Stern seems to be great as well.

I know both hotels have good reviews but is there anybody here who's visited both of these hotels?

Would appreciate all opinions.

Mentioned in this post
Hotel Rialto
Hotel Rialto
113 Reviews
Venice, Italy
UK
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
48,466 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: SO HARD to choose a hotel! TOO hard!

Not actually stayed at either, but I really do not think you would go far wrong with either , for me Palazzo Stern would just about win on location,

Chorley, United...
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
18,954 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: SO HARD to choose a hotel! TOO hard!

Palazzo Stern is particularly well located in Dorsoduro very close to the Ca'Rezzonico water bus landing stage served by the No1 water bus line which calls at all the landing stages along the Grand Canal apart from San Samuele. However it is very easy to reach San Samuele on the other side of the Grand Canal by the Traghetti which ply between the two sides.

It is only a very short walk from the Hotel into Campo San Barnaba and Campo Santa Margherita which between them have a wide choice of bars, cafes, trattoria and restaurants. It is one of my favourite areas in Venice.

Mentioned in this post
Dorsoduro
Dorsoduro
2,040 Reviews
Venice, Italy
Campo San Barnaba
Campo San Barnaba
230 Reviews
Venice, Italy
Campo Santa Margherita
Campo Santa Margherita
564 Reviews
Venice, Italy
Helsinki
Level Contributor
16 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: SO HARD to choose a hotel! TOO hard!

Actually I'm interested in similar good quality hotels near Rialto area as well. So recommendations on hotels in that area are more than wellcome. Stayed in Hotel Rialto last time so that is out of the question though.

Mentioned in this post
Hotel Rialto
Hotel Rialto
113 Reviews
Venice, Italy
north carolina
Level Contributor
6,588 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: SO HARD to choose a hotel! TOO hard!

You may be creating a difficulty that should be avoided. There is not much reason to worry about hotel in Venice beyond cost, unless you plan to spend a lot of time in the hotel, most of us do not.

Consider: location and convenience - almost every hotel is equally convenient and close enough to what you want to see;

consider that it highly likely that you will spend almost all of your time out and about, that's what you are going for.

It is not necessary to be too concerned about hotel choice. The city is the thing, and the city comes free with every hotel.

Helsinki
Level Contributor
16 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: SO HARD to choose a hotel! TOO hard!

I know, I've been there before and I'm thrilled to come back again. We will be spending all our days wondering around - just like last time. But cause this will be our wedding anniversary trip we are really searching for a great hotel as well, something better than Hotel Rialto was.

Mentioned in this post
Hotel Rialto
Hotel Rialto
113 Reviews
Venice, Italy
Chorley, United...
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
18,954 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: SO HARD to choose a hotel! TOO hard!

Frankly, it hardly matters where in Venice you stay. All areas are interesting in their different ways and all are very safe and secure.

Venice
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
9,524 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: SO HARD to choose a hotel! TOO hard!

Have a look at the Hotel Ca Nigra and the Palazzo Giovanelli if you want something romantic ....( sorry ) ... However If it was between the two you have chisen I would say the Stern possibly .....

Edited: 26 November 2013, 21:19
Helsinki
Level Contributor
16 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: SO HARD to choose a hotel! TOO hard!

Thank you Rosa!

Giovanelli looks really good and worth considering :)

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for The Hebrides
Level Contributor
7,840 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: SO HARD to choose a hotel! TOO hard!

I'd go for the Stern on location grounds - as someone has already said, it's very well situated.

People on this forum often say that location isn't important in Venice, but I have to say that's not our experience. Once you have visited a few times you start to a realise that the different areas are indeed very, well, different! And you develop a feel for the areas that suit you and those that don't. For example, we avoid the Riva Schiavoni and anywhere close to the Piazza, but we like Dorsoduro and the Giudecca.

Mentioned in this post
Dorsoduro
Dorsoduro
2,040 Reviews
Venice, Italy
Giudecca
Giudecca
City of Venice, Italy
UK
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
48,466 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: SO HARD to choose a hotel! TOO hard!

I would choose the Stern for location, quite central but not a too busy area and the big advantage of being close to a Vaporetto stop,

Edited: 29 November 2013, 06:44