We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

mestre or venice city

Which Venice hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
94 posts
80 reviews
Save Topic
mestre or venice city

Hi, i've been toying with the idea of a trip to Italy next year for my 10th year wedding anniversary. after some assistance already i've established my easiest/cheapest way in is from Edinburgh flying to Venice so i'm now on the hunt for in ideal place to stay.

i've found the Antony hotel in Mestre and the San Cassiano in Venice city both on really good package deals but because i've never travelled there before i'm not sure on the best choice.

There is a £200 difference towards the San Cassiano choice but I think the Antony looks like a better hotel,

Can anyone advise on the differences between Mestre and Venice city, will I be cashing in on some of the feeling by staying outside the city or is this a wise decision to avoid inflated prices etc etc

Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for The Hebrides
Level Contributor
6,598 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: mestre or venice city

I think you have already got the hang of it! You can pay more, and stay in the wonderful historic centre of Venic, or you can pay less and stay in Mestre. It's a no brainer: stay in Venice - it's worth it!

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
83,068 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: mestre or venice city

One of the delights of staying in Venice is wandering around during the evening, after all the cruise passengers and day-trippers have left, when it has a different feel. It is difficult to do this if you are staying in the dull area of Mestre.

Adelaide
Level Contributor
4,621 posts
205 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: mestre or venice city

If you've never been to Venice before, then definitely stay in Venice. Nick is absolutely right about just how wonderful Venice can be when you're a part of it. Mestre is definitely cheaper, but it's Mestre, not Venice.

It's a bit like the difference between being a participant, and being a spectator. Immerse yourself in the atmosphere there. It's worth every penny of the extra cost.

NE Victoria...
Level Contributor
2,672 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: mestre or venice city

Venice, no competition. Especially for a wedding anniversary.

I stayed at the San Cassiano aeons ago and it was lovely (but we were upgraded free of charge to a canal view suite at check-in, which was a very pleasant surprise - so that might have coloured our experience of our stay there!). I would grab the deal whilst you can.

Edited: 29 November 2013, 03:06
Venice
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
9,010 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: mestre or venice city

The Anthony is not even Mestre ...The San Cassiano is a very Venetian style hotel , lovely position full of character , easy to get to on public transport ( 5 mins walk from vaporetto)

Venice, Italy
Destination Expert
for Venice, City of Venice
Level Contributor
7,485 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: mestre or venice city

The only possible reasons for staying in Mestre (though the Anthony is near the airport, not Mestre) are for the reduced costs or the more modern and roomier facilities. Many Venetian hotels are in buildings that have been around for many many decades or centuries, and are in an island with no room for expansion, which brings a sense of the history that is quite different from the cookie-cutter modern hotel atmosphere of most mainland hotels that have been constructed since WWII or the Anthony which is I believe just about a decade old. I think that if you are coming to see Venice, you should stay in Venice. The journey back and forth, waking up to the Venice morning and walking out to the canals rather than crossing a two-lane trafficked provincial road is priceless. Also calculate that as of late, with all the construction work for the streetcar line that will reach Venice, trips in and out of the city from the mainland can easily take twice as long or longer as usual, and if there is an accident, it can paralyze the bridge for hours.

Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
207 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: mestre or venice city

If you're going to Venice then you really need to stay in Venice and being your 10th wedding anniversary you would want to stay in one of the most romantic cities in the world.

St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
20,152 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: mestre or venice city

The only reason t stay in Mestre is good access to the airport. I have stayed in Mestre myself overnight when I had a very early flight out of Venice.

Venice is an expensive city to visit. I have visited there only once because of that, and because there are not good flight connections from where I live to Venice. I economized by staying in an apt instead of staying in a hotel, but from your post, the flavor I am getting is that economizing by staying somewhere with less frills is not what you are looking for. You could avoid inflated prices by staying in a completely different city like Rome which seems cheaper to me. If you really want to go to Venice (more romantic?), for your anniversary, it's worth the extra 200 BP to stay in Venice proper.

Mestre is a modern post WWII city. It is definately lacking in charm, but is a lot cheaper.

UK
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
45,988 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: mestre or venice city

Buteven with a early flight there are means of getting to the airport for a early flight,

St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
20,152 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: mestre or venice city

Yes, there are ways to get to Venice's airport for an early flight, but none of the are particularly convenient (night vaporetto with it's limited pickup spots to Piazzelle Roma flowed by bus to the airport). When I actually visited Venice instead of just using the Venice airport to visit Ferrara and Ravenna, I arranged my flight for later in the day (slightly more expensive) so that I could take the regular vaporetto to Piazzelle Rome to get the bus to the airport.

Unlike other cities, because of it's unique canal-based nature, when you have an early flight in Venice, you cannot just schedule a taxi to take you and your luggage early in the morning to go to the airport at some reasonable rate. In Venice the water taxi directly to the airport costs something like 100 euro.