We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A problem of SCALE

Which Venice hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Venice, Italy
Destination Expert
for Venice, City of Venice
Level Contributor
7,411 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
A problem of SCALE

just found a new vimeo of Venice, which demonstrates the scale (quite literally) of some of the problems currently facing the city, its residents and its visitors...

http://vimeo.com/81328683

Venice
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
8,959 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: A problem of SCALE

Yes its terrible. I cannot believe that TAR overruled it. There were other solutions but my guess is nobody wanted to make the effort to dredge canals do the rerouting or whatever . usual pass the buck think of the cash first and the consequences later ...

Venice, Italy
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
599 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: A problem of SCALE

In a city that cannot even stop the illegal encouragement of vandalism on the Accademia Bridge, this was obviously too big to contemplate. Once again it is demonstrated that it's the corporate world that increasingly rules our lives and is emasculating our democracies.

A very perceptive piece in yesterday's Guardian:

theguardian.com/commentisfree/2014/mar/20/to…

UK
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
45,836 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: A problem of SCALE

This was on facebook

italymagazine.com/news/ban-venice-cruise-shi…

Venice
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
8,959 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: A problem of SCALE

The Guardian article is excellent

Kerry
Level Contributor
322 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: A problem of SCALE

Having recently stayed on Giudecca and spent hours just gazing on the canal I can't imagine how dreadful it would have been to see one of those cruise ships. Being February there were none in the week I was there. We were however fascinated by the local 'traffic' which daily made its way up and down the canal bringing supplies and removing rubbish etc. The local ferries and water busses also carefully going by.

Let's hope that soon this local traffic will be the only traffic on this lovely canal and wonderful Venice is safeguarded from the monster ships.

Ammber

Kerry
Level Contributor
322 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: A problem of SCALE

Having recently stayed on Giudecca and spent hours just gazing on the canal I can't imagine how dreadful it would have been to see one of those cruise ships. Being February there were none in the week I was there. We were however fascinated by the local 'traffic' which daily made its way up and down the canal bringing supplies and removing rubbish etc. The local ferries and water busses also carefully going by.

Let's hope that soon this local traffic will be the only traffic on this lovely canal and wonderful Venice is safeguarded from the monster ships.

Ammber

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
38,687 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
27. Re: A problem of SCALE

Sickening. How hard could it possibly be to comprehend the damage the displacement of the water, etc is doing to the structures? And, even if the evidence were played out for them using tinker toys so they could best understand it, they would still find a way to bow to business/corporate interests - just as everywhere else in the world except that in some parts of the world, the dangers are not so severe and imminent (and, heartbreaking).

The first time I saw one of these things up close and personal, it just took my breath away and it wasn't nearly as large as some of the ones discussed (15 floors, etc) -

Hoping for courage from politicians and the courts is a lot to hope for - and, not likely to happen.

When you think of the horribly low wages paid to the staffs on these ships with their overlong work hours, etc - it makes it even more despicable to me to know these companies paid a fortune to lobby for this privilege -

And, wait: 5000 jobs for who exactly? Venetians? In what capacity? That bit in the Guardian was unclear to me

Preston, Lancs
Level Contributor
45 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
28. Re: A problem of SCALE

Just watched the video, it made me feel ill, cannot believe the size of those ships!!!

Exeter, United...
Level Contributor
237 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
29. Re: A problem of SCALE

I showed this to my family, at first my father thought it was faked. This terrifies me. I've only been to Venice once, and I want to go back many times in the future.

Maybe someone should do some math, talk about restricting the number of cruise ships to maybe 100 a year (not as good as none per year but still). Make it exclusive. Because you now what comes with exclusivity? Extreme expense. Convince the authorirtes and companies that playing to the fragile egos of bazillionaires would be more profitable....

We can only hope!

30. Re: A problem of SCALE

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 April 2015, 05:15