We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Couchette berth position

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
323 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
Couchette berth position

Hello all,

A few question regarding overnight sleeper trains. On the Trenitalia website for the Thello train, for a 4 berth couchette, for position it says alto, basso and basso obbligatorio. Which of these is the bottom berth? According to google translate, alto means high, basso - low and basso obbligatorio - low mandatory.

Can you choose which berth you want if you book on the Thello website? I'd gone as far as the passenger details but didn't see any area for this, unless it is after you've added those details. Of the two websites, which would you recommend to use?

On another website, I read that the Thello overnight trains would no longer be running past Milan after the 15th December - could someone confirm this?

Thank you.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
9,653 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Couchette berth position

I would urge you to reconsider travelling on the Thello. The passenger experience reported here have been mostly unsatisfactory, see for example

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g1-i12483-k6532216…

and also

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g1-i12483-k6109879…

where it was referred that Thello to Rome won't be operating past 15th December. Paris to Milan will still be operating according to this Rail travel agent

https:/…

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
323 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Couchette berth position

Thanks for the links hadiwi56a. I've read some of the reviews about the thello train but I'll probably travel on it because of the price.The TVG's cost more plus arrive very late in the day, the night train gets me to Paris at 9.30am.

It looks then like only the Paris-Rome route no longer runs, but the Venice-Paris route still does.

I need to find out about the couchette berths though.

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for The Hebrides
Level Contributor
7,291 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Couchette berth position

This is purely guesswork, but maybe choosing 'basso' means that you would prefer a lower bunk, whilst 'basso obbligatorio' means that you MUST have a lower bunk, because of limited mobility, for example?

UK
Level Contributor
3,188 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Couchette berth position

Info re the Thello from the excellent "Man in Seat 61" site

seat61.com/….UqmidXJFBD8

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
323 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Couchette berth position

ModemUK - I've read the man in seat 61 website but it doesn't say anything about selecting a lower/upper bunk. Seems strange this facility isn't available with Thello but available for overnight trains in Thailand, Viet Nam and China.

Edited: 13 January 2014, 02:57
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
88,204 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Couchette berth position

You can fly from Venice or Rome to Paris in under two hours for less than €50.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
323 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Couchette berth position

Which airline is that with sydneynick?

UK
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
47,309 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Couchette berth position

Would think Easy jet,

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for The Hebrides
Level Contributor
7,291 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Couchette berth position

Easyjet.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
323 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Couchette berth position

Thanks for all your help everyone, unfortunately the cheap fares for my selected date are gone, and the cheap fare for the day before leaves before 7am or very late at night. So I'll stick with the overnight train.